TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Traveling through Central America
floggingmolly Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:28 pm

We're looking at traveling to/from Panama/San Diego :shock: . We're planning on hitting all of the countries in between. I'm looking for anyone who has done this recently, good maps, places to go/avoid, words of wisdom, web resources, etc.

Also considering flying down, picking up a westy, and driving back. Any thoughts on that idea? Anyone know of resources to find ones for sale down there?

Thanks folks.

Scott

puravidadon Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi Scott. I live in Costa Rica. Quite often there are Westies or Vanagons for sale at crautos.com. Just click on autos usados and scroll down to the bottom to enter a vehicle make etc. One dollar is equal to about 500 colones for quick calculations. Here is a link to some photos of a 87 Wolfsburg edition I almost bought back in Dec of 07. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=puravidadon

Tomswesty Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 am

Here is one I saw in Uvita a couple of weeks ago.

Didn't stop to check it out but took a picture for the forum.

jeepwillies Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:41 am

Try having a look at their site here: http://www.vwvagabonds.com/

I am reading the book right now and love it. I don't find there is a ton of info on what to expect or things to look out for but it is a fun read. On their site it says you can feel free to contact them with any questions.

My family and I are actually thinking of doing this very soon, Sept 1 to be exact. I still have some upgrades to do to our van and we need to rent out the house.

Cheers!
Dave

Corn1849 Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:50 pm

I have a book recommendation.

"How Green was my Father" (a sort of travel diary). 1947
By David Dodge

Pretty funny account of traveling from San Francisco to Guatemala, c. 1946, with wife and 5 year old kid, via the Pan-American Hwy..... which wasn't actually complete.

One of my personal favorites. :D

CalgaryMcLean Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:13 am

jeepwillies wrote: Try having a look at their site here: http://www.vwvagabonds.com/

I am reading the book right now and love it. I don't find there is a ton of info on what to expect or things to look out for but it is a fun read. On their site it says you can feel free to contact them with any questions.

My family and I are actually thinking of doing this very soon, Sept 1 to be exact. I still have some upgrades to do to our van and we need to rent out the house.

Cheers!
Dave

It's a small world! My family (me, wife, 9-year old daughter, 7-year old son, plus a large dog) are leaving for Central and South America next June (i.e. 2009). Depending how long you are gone for, maybe we'll see you down there!

Kevin
Calgary, AB
1987 Vanagon Westy Syncro TDI (work in-progress!)

floggingmolly Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe we'll see you on the road!

southboundexplorers Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am

hi there we are currently overlanding from vancouver canada to tierra del fuego and back, our site is www.southboundexplorers.com lots of info there as well as links and feel free to contact us with questions, we'll try to help as best we can

Moreno and Ash in Venezuela

levi Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:57 am

Looks like an amazing trip. :) Thanks for posting the website.

Gauche1968 Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 pm

southboundexplorers wrote: hi there we are currently overlanding from vancouver canada to tierra del fuego and back, our site is www.southboundexplorers.com lots of info there as well as links and feel free to contact us with questions, we'll try to help as best we can

Moreno and Ash in Venezuela

Did you guys buy vehicle insurance when you entered Mexico? What do you do for insurance south of Mexico?

floggingmolly Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Moreno and Ash,

Love the site, you guys are working me up to this even more! I'm sure I will have questions as to the details about lots of things (like Gauches question about insurance). Some of those details are hard to figure out until you've done it.

Safe Travels.

Scott