TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: X-Large OK?
seabeesMCB9 Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:21 am

I really want a Thing bad! I may have finally ound one, but.... will they accomodate a big guy? I am a little over 6'3" and 300+ lbs. The doors look a mite narrow, and the seats don't appear to be too large. Now, despite what all of you are thinking :lol:, I would like a honest answer, and I don't mean" Yeah, drive from the backseat" :shock: . Thanks

Van-go108 Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:43 am

I'm 6'3" too although, I weigh 235+/-. I have to slide my right leg in under the wheel and I still kinda scrunch down in the seat. I'm comfortable but yeah I would wish a couple of things were different. A tilt column and one more click to slide the seat back would be nice. I'm OK though. I don't feel cramed in. It's a "Tall" thing ya' know?

My Vanagon is really nice though. I have room to spare.

TeamSpatula Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:51 am

A fellow I met through an old VW club was probably 6'-5", and weighed 350. He had a Ghia that he had actually moved the seat tracks back maybe 6-8" or so just to fit in and drive.
I would suggest that you take a long test drive before buying one - that's really the only way to be sure.
good luck,

seabeesMCB9 Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 am

Thanks guys. I was considering moving the seat back, and using a rollbar for additional support :lol:. I think spending some long seat time IS the only way. My wife says that I could lose ten UGLY lbs. fast, just cut off my head :shock: .

seabeebuggy Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:46 am

there is a offroad glass thing coming out soon looks like a thing but made of fiberglass.

kubelmann Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:51 am

Also consider changing the seat to a offroad suspension seat such as Racecraft, Beard or Mastercraft . You can buy a seat from them built for your size and shape.

UncleDirty Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:48 am

Another 6'3" Thing owner here. I moved the seat back about 3" which hepled alot, but the stock steering has got to go. I'm going to go with a smaller diameter aftermarket wheel, it will make it alot easier to get in and out of.
I have a friend that is 6'5" that runs a smaller wheel, with the seat in the stock location, he has never complained about comfort in his Thing.

Fun 181 Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:30 am

Van-go108 wrote: I have to slide my right leg in under the wheel and I still kinda scrunch down in the seat. I'm comfortable but yeah I would wish a couple of things were different. A tilt column and one more click to slide the seat back would be nice. I'm OK though. I don't feel cramed in. It's a "Tall" thing ya' know?

X10!

I'm 6'3 and could stand to lose a few hundred pounds. :lol: I have a really small steering wheel (about 11 or 12 inch) and I HATE it! The truth is I have a tough time getting in and out even with the small wheel size. I do the right leg slide in maneuver that Van-go does. A tilt steering wheel would make all the difference! Once I'm in it's fine, though I would like some more distance between my sternum and the steering wheel!!!

I just took out my rollbar. I always hated how it looked, and it did seem to make getting in and out a little more difficult because I had to lean forward while getting in.

seabeesMCB9 Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:33 am

Once again, thank you. Has anyone ever tried to put a tilt wheel, or possibly better yet, a modified original column with some u-joints (like Flaming River). It seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to mount it at a different angle, and add the u-joints where needed. Could be the ticket.

dan macmillan Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:56 pm

All you need to do is use a different seat and relocate it. I am 6'2" 300lbs. I installed seats from a Honda Civic even used the Honda seatbelts by locatiing the Honda retractor in the inside of the rear rocker. I have no problems with the steering wheel or leg room.