TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Passenger ceiling map light?
brooklynvan Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 pm

I think I saw someone mention that there's a "blank" on the pass side of the van where the map light would be if it was opposite the light on the driver side.
Anyone know for sure before I go cutting into my headliner?
is it an easy snake job across the roof? (I have AC ducts)
or more trouble than it's worth...
I have a few extra dome lights.

70coupyel Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 pm

Brooklynvan

I did this:

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

I am REALLY happy with this mod. 20 sec delay,passenger side light and a main light.

Edit: click on" Electrical" and then "Inside Lights"

larrytrk Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:25 am

I did the Jetta dome light also, the White frame matches the headliner, nice delay and spot function.

Steelhead Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:59 am

I pulled my headliner on my 89 recently and was surprise to see the blank hole. That said, I too did the jetta dome.

before cutting the headliner, you might release it from and feel around up there to find the opening.

brooklynvan Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:04 pm

well got to looking into other types and picked this up on ebay to give it a shot:

http://tinyurl.com/69lfdc

I have AC so I figured I'd mount it center in the bottom of the AC duct and snake the power back to the driver side map lights.

I will post here with info when I get the light.

Corn1849 Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:48 am

brooklynvan wrote: well got to looking into other types and picked this up on ebay to give it a shot: This is what it one looks like installed:

It covers a large, poorly placed hole, by the PO. He installed a cheesy aircraft style eyeball light right under a structural crossbar and too far behind the driver/passenger.

I had to fab an escutcheon plate, as the light was too deep to mount flush. You'll find that it has a slight arch to fit the BMW's ceiling. I plan on moving it (or getting a Jetta/EV Light) if I ever redo the headliner.

EDIT:
Wiring to existing dome light:
BMW Hella----------------Existing Dome

Red/White-------to-------Red
Purple------------to-------Red
Brown------------to-------Brown
Brown/Black-----to-------Brown/white (Door Switched)
Brown/Red-------to------ *

* I taped it off. It maybe went to a passenger door switch??? I couldn't figure. Yours may only have 4 wires.

RGS Paul Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:42 am

Stumbled across this and had a question. Are there wires to the passenger side dome light location and how is the blanked out region attached? I just put a Jetta light in my drivers side light and was thinking about adding a passenger side light. Love the delay feature from the Jetta light, and the installation took about 15 minutes. I have a non-Westy, I can feel the location for the light but don't want to cut without some recon first.

Thanks,

Paul

syncrodoka Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:57 am

There aren't any wires in the passenger side pillar for the light but they can be run without too much difficulty. If you look at the driver's side and feel around the passenger's side in the same area you will feel a plastic cap covering the hole. The cap snaps into the hole and can be removed easily once the hole is cut. It isn't a big deal really but it is frightening to take a razor blade to your headliner for the first time.

Boesen Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:06 am

Corn1849 wrote: brooklynvan wrote: well got to looking into other types and picked this up on ebay to give it a shot: This is what it one looks like installed:

It covers a large, poorly placed hole, by the PO. He installed a cheesy aircraft style eyeball light right under a structural crossbar and too far behind the driver/passenger.

I had to fab an escutcheon plate, as the light was too deep to mount flush. You'll find that it has a slight arch to fit the BMW's ceiling. I plan on moving it (or getting a Jetta/EV Light) if I ever redo the headliner.

EDIT:
Wiring to existing dome light:
BMW Hella----------------Existing Dome

Red/White-------to-------Red
Purple------------to-------Red
Brown------------to-------Brown
Brown/Black-----to-------Brown/white (Door Switched)
Brown/Red-------to------ *

* I taped it off. It maybe went to a passenger door switch??? I couldn't figure. Yours may only have 4 wires.

Great mod. Just picked the light up from local junkyard. Now to figure out what you use for an Escutcheon plate.

Corn1849 Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:07 pm

Boesen wrote: Great mod. Just picked the light up from local junkyard. Now to figure out what you use for an Escutcheon plate.
For what it's worth... I fashioned that one out of wood and painted it.
I'm no longer in the club :cry: (We sold the Van over a year ago).
If I still had it I'd scan the plate, send ya the file and you could 3D print it. :wink:
Good luck.

force3g Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 am

Just installed these from https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/map%20lights/[/url]