TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Suddenly, no starter turning
motelvw Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:01 am

Started my 89 AT this morning to move it. An hour later went to start it again and I heard a loud click then no cranking.
The battery is good
The relays up front are doing their thing
The fuel pump primes
the idle stabilizer does NOT buzz
the fuel pump runs again when I turn the key to the start position.
Starter is old but have not had any issues in 7 years.

Where should I start?

Dogpilot Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:10 am

How about assuring yourself the battery connections are solid. A weak connection can make the starter cut out at the onset of the large draw. It will come back to life when you cycle the ignition switch. Try cleaning the posts and re-tightening. Then check.

motelvw Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:38 am

Terminals are clean and tight. Just checked the starter connections too. They look good. I'll check voltages at the starter when my wife gets home from church. (She's praying for the van.)
The last noise it made was like it engaged the solenoid or gear and then nothing. So I'm thinking it's something in the starter.

Perales Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:47 am

Dis you check all your ground connections as well? Corroded grounds could be responsible. There is also a very short external ground wire on the starter motor itself that is sometimes an issue. Mine went to dust when I touched it.

motelvw Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:49 am

I think I found the problem. The bare wire from the solenoid to the starter crumbled between my fingers when I grabbed it.
Looks like new starter time.