TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: EGR Gasket Material and Broken Bolt Extraction in Heaterbox
Sheesh Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:47 am

A couple of questions, as my project is finally starting to come to a conclusion.

Been on the hunt for an EGR filter and valve. After being sold a mis-represented federal filter (of which I still have :-(), I finally have a CA emissions on the way from Bus Depot. However, this is being drop shipped and is, like the gaskets, apparently hard to find.

Two questions:

* Bus Depot does not have the EGR gaskets. Can I make them? What material should I use (high temp at all junctions)? The manual states there should be a "calibrated gasket" where the pipe meets the valve. What is this? Necessary or can I use regular gasket material?

* There is a broken bolt on the EGR flange off the heaterbox. Luckily, it is relatively flush and can be ground down. Given these are relatively fragile, should I remove the heater box before extracting? What might be the best method of removal? Been using PB on it for a few days while I make up my mind. Heat and........left hand drill bits? EZOut?

Thanks in advance!

MarkWard Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am

Unrelated we use "copper hi temp silicone" on our race car headers in place of gaskets. Works great. You should be able to do the same with the egr flange. Don't know about the sizing, but we would sneak a peice of aluminum from a can to block off the egr at the flange. You should be able to meet emissions without the egr actually working. It's not like it will trip a code as in later years.

Broken bolts. I can't picture your setup from memory. Isn't there a pigtail off the exhaust for the egr filter to bolt to? If so you could drill it and through bolt with a nut. If I am wrong. The more time you spend trying to remove the broken bolt, the less time it wil take. If you can't drill it centered and straight on the car, then by all means remove it. Chances are if you drill it centered and large enough, you will be able to chase it with a tap and remove the balance of the threads. At least my reply bumps your post. Good luck.