TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Roof Racks on Bugs Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
dlxcoupe Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:08 pm

I used to not have much interest in bug roof racks but after looking at the ones on Samba - with racks, I have changed my mind.. now I think they are so cool...
Somehow they just go with the flow of the VW.

72_super_vw Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:11 pm

I agree.. thats why im looking for one now.. just cant find one i can afford at the moment lol :D

NOTAHONDA Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:06 pm

Im kinda feeling the other way. I've always loved racks but just decided to go rackless on my 61 project car. Im liking the look of a roof or rag in my older age. :D

jmsmilin Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Im wasnt into them too much either, but I actually use mine a lot. Throw coolers up there, x-mas tree, kids bike, etc. There are some nice racks out there, anything OG and those sweet aerostream style ones...

dlxcoupe Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:01 pm

Well, I did it...I expect one to arrive anyday from Pedro.. I will post an "after" picture. It is riding the bus somewhere in the USA - destination,, this 64 bug.

theastronaut Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:28 pm

Here's your after picture. Well, pretty close.

dlxcoupe Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:34 pm

Very Nice!!

72_super_vw Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:15 pm

very nice indeed! :D hey if you dont like you could send my way!! :arrow:

Derek Cobb Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Roof racks are the BOMB! I had no idea just how useful they are, but after installing one on my old 67, My wife and I ended up putting everything up there.

Kuncle Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:48 pm

I love my rack.. there are a plethra of Bungee cords and other shit. a jack when I have one lol.

Mr. Bungle Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:17 pm

roof racks are great...especially when you own a beetle and there is not much room for stuff. my rack is off my car more than it is on...but when i need it, it sure does come in handy.

hauling swap meet goods...

camping...

or just hitting a nice watering hole with a cooler of bevies & snacks...

cavemandan Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:27 pm

heres my rack w/ alot of shiit on it

Skim Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:44 pm

I like them as long as they arent overloaded which reminds me of this from the weekend of VW Classic

HBCRUZR Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:14 pm

theastronaut Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:29 pm

That's like a local trash pick-up truck in town. They took a 70's ford F250 and made a plywood box the length of the bed and about 12 feet tall. Whenever you see them it's piled sky-high with trash and theres two or three guys riding in back on top the trash bags, on their way to the next stop. I've been tryin to get a pic the last two years.

billythekid Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:30 pm

hemifalcon Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:12 pm

You see those trucks loaded up like that daily heading from LA down to Mexico.... I don't understand how that shite is safe and that the troopers don't pull 'em over and cite them.. Look at any of those trucks--the suspension is fully compressed--overloaded-unsafe..

Itawayoflife Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:01 pm

hemifalcon wrote: You see those trucks loaded up like that daily heading from LA down to Mexico.... I don't understand how that shite is safe and that the troopers don't pull 'em over and cite them.. Look at any of those trucks--the suspension is fully compressed--overloaded-unsafe..

X2.

I see that all the time on I-5. It's an art form, yet, completely stupid. Imagine... all your worldly possessions exposed to the elements in the back of a pick-up truck for hundreds of miles. :roll:

Steve. Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:35 pm

I used to rock my rack all the time, after my third got stolen, I was discouraged, now I like it without a rack. But, I still own a couple racks, and I do put it up once in a while, overall, racks are the shit!

72_super_vw Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:04 pm

I am determined to get a rack! I just dont want to buy it new!! id rather have an original