TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Battery not charging properly
steve vw Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:51 am

My 1985 Vanagon's alternator is charging properly, however the battery is not getting for proper charge necessary to keep it fully charged. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Steve vw

Westy-Life Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:55 pm

If you are sure that your alternator is putting out properly then you probably have a bad battery. They just won't hold a charge.
Also make sure that you do not have anything drawing on the system when the key is off.

Dave

ftp2leta Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:42 pm

steve vw wrote: My 1985 Vanagon's alternator is charging properly, however the battery is not getting for proper charge necessary to keep it fully charged. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Steve vw

Yo, fist, make sure your battery is good! Is it? are you shure?
What is the volt reading at the battery??? (problem in between the ALT and battery???)
Second, put an ampmeter in between the battery + and the + terminal (or negative - ) , what is the reading?

If it's over .5 amp... find it by removing each fuse anf puting that same ampmeter in the fuse holder (ampmeter replacing the fuse), with that, you should find your "draw".

If you don't know what i'm talking about... go see a mechanic men!

Also, how do you know it's not getting proper charge??? That would mean your ALT is BAD??? or something is wrong at the starter connection??? (it's a bridge)

Ben

ftp2leta Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:02 pm

I fogot, me, yea me, i had a draw this week, second battery almost dead.... men i was ready to burn that %?"?*/%&(%?*"$%&... so i charge this one back and did an "amp" test... so yea, that stupid radio, even at OFF was draining over .4 amp.... the small ride in between my home and shop (only a few mile) was not enough to recharge the battery over a period of 3 weeks.

So, it mean that over night + all day, that radio was removing more amp that my ALT can give in a 15 minutes ride to work each days.

The Subi, or even a VW (around 90amp an hour) isn't enough ti fill my aux battery. Well, 90 amp/hr divided in 15 minutes give you about 20 amp time 2 (ride back home), + 40 amp, my radio drain .5 an hour, that is almost 23 hours per day. 23 by .5 mean about 12 amp.

BUT, how many time do i start the van per day!!! start take out a lot of juice!!!

Even then, my story doesn't make any sence.... shit! I must have another drain! ha ha ha.

But still, that is a fact, if i remove the radio, i have 0 drain on the second battery (everything ACC in my van is on the aux batt.). Also, this is an acid battery that has been drained a few time... they don't like it at all!

We should start a real solid dual battery thread!
Acid VS Deep cycle vs GEL cel VS regulator/ sparator, life, amp, gel don't like Acid, Deep Cycle don't like ALT..... bla bla bla

Ok, i should drink more beer.

Have fun
Ben