TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Horn contact woes.
kenmag Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:39 am

Is there a way to fix this copper(?) contact? I've seen replacements for only the contact ring from our online vendors. Is it part of the indicator assembly or can it be replaced or fixed on its own?
In the pic you can see the contact has seen better days. It must have worn down this way because the old ring I replaced was mangled.
Searched archives but came up with posts relating to just the ring.

Thanks

Ken

berge13 Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Isn't there supposed to be a spring steel/brass ring around the area there, fitting over the spline and around the contact area? I have the same issue and am thing of just going wit a HELLA replacement...

berge13 Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:31 pm

I took a metal terminal and jerried it so it wrapped around the stub. I crimped it and put the Horn cover back on. The horn works great until I put the horn cover on. I then have no horn. When I have the cover inserted, it doesn't seem to depress enough to make the contacts....
FRUSTRATING!!!!!!
Try the terminal fix...
Berge

hiram6 Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:45 pm

I THINK it's included with the turn signal lever assembly. I hope so, I've already ordered one, mainly because I need to fix my horn.

hiram6 Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm bringing this one back from hibernation because I need some advice. As I indicated above I ordered a replacement turn signal stalk assembly for my 85 Westy, along with a new ignition switch. Finally got around to installing them yesterday. The new turn signal assembly DOES include the horn contact tab that sticks up to contact the horn ring on the back of the steering wheel. :D Mine wasn't as worn as Ken's in the first post, but it was close.

So, install the assembly, plug all the connections back up, and put the steering wheel back on. All good, right??

Well yes and no. Horn works correctly now, BUT I have a grinding scraping sound when I turn the steering wheel. It is absolutely metal on metal, not the plastic column trim. :shock:

So earlier today I'm driving through a parking lot, and I make a sharp turn into a parking spot. Grinding, scraping as I turn. The sun is coming through my driver's window as I turn and, in the the rays of sun, I can see copper filings/dust falling from the back of the steering wheel. Obviously I'm chewing up my brand new contact tab, or my almost new (3 month old) horn contact ring.

Do I have the steering wheel down on the shaft too far? How do you adjust this? I haven't taken it apart yet to see exactly what's scraping, just looking for some guidance/suggestions first. BTW, Bentley says "installation is the reverse of removal" :roll: :P

berge13 Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:49 pm

First, where did you order the assembly, I would like to get one for my 83.5. GL
Second, maybe you can depress the terminal thing, it may be sticking up too far causing it to grind. I notice they are kinda flexible.
Berge

PDXWesty Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:57 pm

http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3764&category_id=204&category_parent_id=

berge13 Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:30 pm

THX... PDX
Berge :D

hiram6 Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Got mine from Van-cafe. I like me cookies.

sbclayton Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Do you know, that bit of brass will pull right out with minimal effort. Disconnect the plug that it goes into, remove the thing and carefully flatten it. Use the old terminal as a pattern, take a bit of brass sheet (20 gauge should be about right) and cut/file a new contact spring. Quite simple, really. The end is curved in such a way that it touches the horn contact rim - think of a curved shoe riding on a rail.

The grinding sound is from dry metal-to-metal contact. Do yourself (and your nerves) a favor and work a little brass grease in there. Failing that, use white lithium grease - there is more than sufficient pressure between the contact and the horm rim to make an electrical circuit despite a thin coating of grease.

berge13 Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:31 pm

hmnnnnn, gonna try that...
Thanks for the tip
Berge