TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2WD vanagon big brake kits,what wheel bearing hub do you use
MTBscott Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:45 am

Does anybody know what wheel bearing hub they are using on the front wheel for 2WD kits?
the stock brake rotor and bearing hub is one piece. the aftermarket kits have a seperate hub that the rotor mounts to.
I am having a hard time finding the part no. for the hub on the aftermarket kits.
I have complete brake set off a 2002 Audi S4 i am going to try to retrofit.
anybody have any idea what vehicle the hub they use came off of?

a914622 Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:53 am

The "hub" on the aftermarket kits from Small car are the stock one piece rotor that has had the "rotor" milled or turned off.
The South african kits use a hub un to it self but i think the bearings are all the same. Stock bearings should fit both/either hubs.

If you are looking to swap in an A4 setup you'll need to have the rotors machined down to fit the A4 stuff.

jcl

r39o Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:39 am

To make the stock rotors into hubs is a snap on a brake lathe. Any automotive shop that (still) machines rotors or drums can do it in a few minutes. I do it on our brake lathe, no big deal.

MTBscott Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:37 pm

thanks for the info, I have a machine shop and also have accsess to a brake lathe. I will have to machine the rear hubs anyway to fit the rear rotors. the front brakes are almost 12.750 in dia. a little big, I am not sure if i can get them in the 16" allroad wheels i have. I will try to post pictures when i finish