TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New Vanagon Owner
wiredwizard Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:43 am

Ok been waiting for years and just got my 82 Vanagon. Needs a bit of engine work, body is in great shape. Going to use it when I set up at music festivals as a vendor.

1st off any advice from veteran owners would be great. Things to check and watch. Also any links to good resources on accessories, parts, and general knowledge. also is there a recommended Chilton type manual

82WestyMan Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:55 am

Just wanted to welcome you to the community.
I too own an 82 and if I can be of any help, please let me know

One thing you'll find here on the samba is this... you're not the first person to have most any problem you run into... someone has travelled the road before you and that this is an invaluable resource to owning your Vanagon

enjoy

Stígandi Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:38 pm

welcome, congrats etc.

I too have a 82 vanagon. See the link to my blog below.

First thing first! check your fuel lines! the fuel runs above your muffler this is a designer flaw. A cracked fuel line can make for a long, hot, fire ridden day.

The rubber hose after 20 + years could be/ or is cracked and brittle, please check this today.

What do you vend at the music shows? Sounds like a sweet gig.

again welcome!

wiredwizard Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:21 pm

Yup project one has been to replace as many rubber hoses as possible thanks for the info.

Sheesh Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:29 pm

9 months ago we purchased an '82 Westy AC w/ CA emissions.

Given our rigs are 26 years old and condition is dependent on previous owners and their use/maintenance when we purchase them, I'd imagine anything or everything could need replacement.

On mine, other than the engine, I've replaced:

* Fuel lines, filters
* Fuel pump
* Injectors
* U/L Ball joints
* Tie Rods
* Tires
* EGR valve/filter
* Clutch master/slave
* Clutch pressure/friction plates and throw out
* Distributor (due to bad vacuum on old)
* Am currently extensively repairing engine wiring harness and connectors
* Soon will have new CVs (complete)
* Will need a rebuilt AFM in short order
* Will need a rebuilt/better functioning throttle body (worn)
* Cosmetically, I've stripped and painted all interior "wallpapered" panels for a cleaner experience.

In short, anything rubber is likely to be rotted and in need of replacement; many plastic parts are quite brittle and need stabilization or replacement; and if you have an old engine/tranny who knows what it is like internally or how effective other necessary parts are functioning.

Good luck! I hope yours doesn't suck money like mine :-)

wiredwizard Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 am

Lucky for me the folks I bought her from didn't realize what they had.

Her engine seems to of been rebuilt not long ago. Most of the rubber seems to be in great condition. At some point some replaced the MFG Aireconditioner with a unit that is mounted inside the Van. I plan on removing covers this weekend to get more info on that seems to run OK needs charging though. Will need new tires and want to replace carpet and redo interior.