TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Needle Bearings vs. Delrin Bushings for Narrowed Beam?
OvalWindowBucket Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:40 pm

I have a OG beam that I am considering narrowing and I am wondering what people think about the extra work to keep the stock needle bearings versus hacking the ends off of the beam and putting in Delrin bushings? Is it worth it to keep the needle bearings on a 6" narrowed beam? Should I just use Delrin?

Thanks

sano66 Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:49 pm

If Delrin is good enough for the Baja 1000, it's good enough for me.

gtxbullet Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:55 am

I have the same question actually...
CarCraftInc sells both style, $159 for the Delrin and $239 for Bearing style...I want to spend as little money as possible. and my car is a daily driver...

I know bearings would be better...but anyone have the Delrin style??

tb03830 Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 am

gtxbullet wrote: I have the same question actually...
CarCraftInc sells both style, $159 for the Delrin and $239 for Bearing style...I want to spend as little money as possible. and my car is a daily driver...

I know bearings would be better...but anyone have the Delrin style??

I have had both. The Needle bearings are better for reliability and life expectancy. The Delrin Bushings work and are good enough for the Baja 1000 but for length of service and such I do not think so. The two sets of Delrin I had both began to wear out after about 2 years and I put bearings in them. I just did a new front end in my 64 and have zero complaints with needle bearings.

Cost for Delrin is better but they are a pain to ream and get to fit and I hate that they will squeak from time to time depending on the weather. I have been told that greasing the Delrin makes them stop squeaking but I have also been told Greasing a Delrin bushing will make then fall apart. Mine did. One had grease one did not. Same effect though(not sure).

As long as you grease the needle bearing you can go 40+ years not changing them like my 64 had done.

Remember you are heavily altering the frame and body with 6” narrowing so it really does not matter that much. A narrowing will cause maintenance issues down the road and as long as you know that they may need replaced at some point. Just be aware of the squeaking I have heard.

Me personally just bite the bullet and by the better needle bearings so I do not have to mess with it in the future.

gtxbullet Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:22 am

I'm only getting a 2" beam though.
and while I drive my 65 beetle daily, I don't actually put many miles on it.
just going to Walmart and the grocery stores a mile away and a a couple car shows a week. that's about it.

tb03830 Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:44 am

gtxbullet wrote: I'm only getting a 2" beam though.
and while I drive my 65 beetle daily, I don't actually put many miles on it.
just going to Walmart and the grocery stores a mile away and a a couple car shows a week. that's about it.
I narrowed my 64 @' and usd Needle bearings.

Motomazzo Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am

Needle bearings all day. NB were the O.G. design for a reason. Bushings are a cheap, quick substitute fix for the real deal. Of course they will work, but they are the inferior option, period. You get what you pay for. Spend a little extra money for bearings and you will not be disappointed. All this is MHO, of course. :)

Moto

slalombuggy Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:30 am

I have used needle bearings, micarta (also OE) bushings, and delrin. To me they all ride and perform the same in my autocross buggy. Every needle bearing front end I have taken apart has had one or more of the trailing arms birnelled from the bearings. since they don't fully rotate the narrow needles wear on the arm in the same spots causing the ridges and grooves. For a low mile driver, save your money go with delrin or micarta bushings and put the money somewhere else.

brad

Michael Fischer Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 am

Bakelite was the "O.G." design. I prefer needles but only if I have shocks. My 8" with needles and no shocks was way to bouncy.

Boom Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:58 pm

I am not sure that they(bushings) wear more but the ride is nice on my narrowed and adjusted beam.
the bearings would make sense that they would be better but may be more bouncy because of less friction.
if your narrowing your own beam I would just leave the bearings in place and narrow from the middle.
it would be cheaper to just re-use the same bearings and not have to buy the bushings.

alex dearborn Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 am

help: I have a 56 Beetle with a 56-65 beam with Delrin bushings. Can I swap out the Delrin for the needle bearings? Or do I have to buy a whole new axle beam? Am going for a highway cruiser with stock, quiet, smooth ride.
Thanks, Alex

Nando_b63 Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:00 pm

alex dearborn wrote: help: I have a 56 Beetle with a 56-65 beam with Delrin bushings. Can I swap out the Delrin for the needle bearings? Or do I have to buy a whole new axle beam? Am going for a highway cruiser with stock, quiet, smooth ride.
Thanks, Alex

Bump