TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where have all the Westys gone? Page: 1, 2  Next
Tomswesty Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Just got back from a 1600 mile trip and only counted 6 westy's, it's the 4th of July weekend. Is everyone still working on them getting them ready for the almost gone summer? Granted the trip was across Montana and Wyoming but you would think you would see a fewe more than 6 crusin the byway. Or maybe was it because I wasn't driving mine at the time (long story)? I hope you all had time to hit the road and strut your stuff. Saw a really nice Chocolate Brown with Safari topper and SA lights headed west outside of Butte, MT.

freshintulsa Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:07 pm

i agree... but i think its a got a lot to do with where you traveled. I got back about 2 weeks ago from northern colorado to tulsa oklahoma, and then to Branson, Missouri. I saw one air cooled westy vanagon at some gas station somewehre in kansas, and one parked in someones house near springfield missouri. However, here in fort collins, i see a few everyday and every week i come across one ihave seen before. It does seem odd though, that you wouldnt see more during your trip. i went to laramie wyoming on saturday and didnt see one van the whole drive.

danfromsyr Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:17 pm

sorry I'm nowhere near there.. and I don't travel on the big 3 holidaze
I'm out this next weekend and the end of july our NY VW camping club is headed out to Long point S.P near the 1000 islands region of NY..

the big 3 are a mob scene, I stay home fix the house, yard, westy so I can go camping when all the other yahos go back to work.

it's like drinking on Newyears eve, that gets old about as fast as I did.. I'll drink some other night.. when the bar isn't elbow to gashole :roll:

candyman Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 pm

Tomswesty wrote: Just got back from a 1600 mile trip and only counted 6 westy's, it's the 4th of July weekend. Is everyone still working on them getting them ready for the almost gone summer? Granted the trip was across Montana and Wyoming but you would think you would see a fewe more than 6 crusin the byway. Or maybe was it because I wasn't driving mine at the time (long story)? I hope you all had time to hit the road and strut your stuff. Saw a really nice Chocolate Brown with Safari topper and SA lights headed west outside of Butte, MT.

Butte?! You should have passed thru missoula. You would have counted atleast 30 westies, split bay and vanagon, all this before lunch!

captainpartytime Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:48 pm

I counted 16 yesterday while surfing at San Onofre State Beach in S. California. It was like a Westy gathering! :shock:

otiswesty Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:27 pm

Just drove for 2 weeks thru 4 corners area. Only saw 1 red syncro westy at South Rim of GC. Drove from Vegas, as soon as I hit coastal CA, all of a sudden a Westy every 15 min. Home again!

CREGAN Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Candyman- that is the reason I am planning my honeymoon treck through Missoula! I heard there is a nice supply at the pick your parts there so I can stock up a bit, you all know how it is! Always something you want to change out. Saw 2 westies about a week ago driving back from Calgary but they were identical flash silver late models. I actually thought I had a deja vu but then I realized there is no way a westy can pass me twice going the opposite way!

PDXWesty Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:31 pm

I spent one day at the Oregon Coast yesterday and saw five others all in the same parking lot. That made six including mine.

mhav Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:55 am

We went to the white mountains for a few days and were saying how we did'nt see a single westy. Usually there are a couple out there.

kevinbassplayer Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:59 am

I counted 11 this past weekend at the High Sierra Music Festival here in Nor-Cal and see probably at least 1 or 2 Westy's a day just around town, all depends on your location.

shenan-agon Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:47 am

CREGAN wrote: Candyman- that is the reason I am planning my honeymoon treck through Missoula! I heard there is a nice supply at the pick your parts there so I can stock up a bit, you all know how it is! Always something you want to change out. Saw 2 westies about a week ago driving back from Calgary but they were identical flash silver late models. I actually thought I had a deja vu but then I realized there is no way a westy can pass me twice going the opposite way!

Ah, nothing like a honeymoon at the pick-n-pull. You must have a patient SO. :)

the caveman Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:57 am

you want to know where they all went? Have you looked at the samba classifieds lately? It's a buyer's market.

candyman Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:04 pm

CREGAN wrote: Candyman- that is the reason I am planning my honeymoon treck through Missoula! I heard there is a nice supply at the pick your parts there so I can stock up a bit, you all know how it is! Always something you want to change out.!

HA! Not anymore (I did a good job claening them out) you need to call brax euro parts in divide. Awesomw guy and he's got some nice nuggets. I don't have the number off hand just google them. Tell him jason in missoula sent ya. If you go plan on staying at jackson hot springs, very cool place . Pm me if you want more info

Raynor Shine Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:06 pm

We did about 800 miles through glen canyon. Only 1 eurovan sited.

1621 Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:55 pm

PDXWesty wrote: I spent one day at the Oregon Coast yesterday and saw five others all in the same parking lot. That made six including mine.

So that's where they all went...

I just spent the week camping my way from my house in Portland to my brother's house in Santa Cruz. Arguably two of the more popular Westy sighting locations. Only a handful, and a single wave.

I don't mind that Westies are a rare bird these days, but I imagine it's time to arrange another get together so I can stop reading these threads about there being no more Westies around. Nothing formal, just make it if you can, and bring enough of your favorite beverage to cover yourself. Any others in the PDX area ready for a campout?

Perales Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Like I said in the Have you seen one post:
I just got back from two nights camping, and on the road I only saw two Westfalias. I also saw two Lamborghinis.
Could it be that Westfalias are now as rare as Lamborghinis?

j_dirge Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:06 pm

Lots of them came to my neighborhood to do double duty as daily drivers.

There must be a dozen here within a 2 block radius.

levi Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Perales wrote: Like I said in the Have you seen one post:
I just got back from two nights camping, and on the road I only saw two Westfalias. I also saw two Lamborghinis.
Could it be that Westfalias are now as rare as Lamborghinis?

If they keep burning one up every weekend, they will be... :roll:

K58 Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Mine only travels as far as my AAA card will allow
a 200 mile radius :lol:

MarkWard Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:47 am

Last summer, drove from S. Fla, Alabama, Miss, Ga, Tenn, NC and SC. I did not see one Vanagon, Type 2, Type 1, Type, 3 or Type 4. I guess they are not in the southeast. I did have quite a few inquiries in camp grounds of what the heck is that?