TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Taking 2 to make 1
mikerapp Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 am

OK,
I have enjoyed this forum very much, and I finally have question that I truly would appreciate feedback. I have a 81 with just ice box and sink) Automatic, converted to dual carbs, redid the interior including all panels, top with the "black light" fuzz removed, New rubber all around, All screens, curtains,weekender sink and ice box, VERY CLEAN and VERY roadworthy, 15" audi rims. A Original Florida van that "had" air. I put more into it than its worth, but thats par for the course, for me anyway.......Now it needs paint, which means, removing all trim, windows, etc. New window gaskets and about 500 in body work,so 1500 minimum for a decent respray if i take it apart and put back together..

ENTER: 1984, Westy with Stove and Fridge, COLD AC, Rear Unit, Front fan dont work but its there. Stick so its probably faster at least off the line, fuel injection (good or bad) The thought is to buy this for around 3900 and make it the keeper, taking the best from the 81 such as seats, bumpers, wheels, stereo, curtains, etc. and then paint the NEW 84 (during the transformation) , 1500 (paint) +3900 (purchase) +1000 (contengency) $6400 in the new unit with air, and then sell the 81?

If i go this route and get 3k for the great running 81, I have a newer unit with AIR (I live in Florida) for 3,400? Financially it sounds right and doable, but IS IT WORTH THE EFFORT?

Thanks in advance.
Michael

danfromsyr Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:53 am

well it all sounds good on a bar napkin..
but somehow life, karma and the real world get in the middle.

a few potential flaws in your figuring.

you will spend 2xs as much as you think for contingency
you may not get all that you expect in the sales.

add in a BUNCH of effort, time and the worst part some loss to your enjoyment of the camping/travel/VW season.

What would I do..
keep both ;-) yeah it's not praticle.. but then I have one when the other is down for service. and I don't have to miss the BBQs and Beach..

Wellington Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:55 am

Wow a vanagon with working air, that alone makes it worth it!
Yup I'd do it, just check over the 1.9 cooling system carefully, there are some parts . mosly hoses, that are getting harder to find. The thermostat can be a pain to change.

Crughy Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:24 pm

I tend to agree with Dan. Seems ok at first but...
it might be quite some work. You must have the space for the 2 for a little while, etc.

What I am not sure of is: financially, for 3400$ you get to keep all your extra stuff (good move), and you get newer paint, fridge stove, AC and few other things.

I tend to agree that your paint job is better invested in a newer/worthier van.
But is it still worthy enough?
Would not a 3900+1500 $ get you a better van? like a fair 86? or recently painted one?

You also took away the costliest part in the deal: how good is the engine and trans in the 84?
Most of the time, you are better off keeping the van you know.

JP

otiswesty Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Don't forget. Not only do you get AC, but you get heat also with the WBX, something you will enjoy driving on a chilly night. The 1.9 WBX, depending on condition, will also have more longevity in the long run. No more dropped valve seats, but you will have all that coolant to worry about or be thankful for, depending on your point of view.