TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Had a chance to drive a Westfalia with a front big brake kit
ChesterKV Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:39 am

Hey Dudes,

The other day I was test-driving a neighbor's Westfalia (an '87 I think) with a new Subaru EJ22 conversion. The engine, of course, was great and I drove it around the hills in Berkeley/El Cerrito. After a little while it occurred to me that I was not paying attention to my braking. In other words, I would simply press the brake to stop, and the heavy van would stop where I wanted it to. I mentioned to the owner who was sitting in the passenger seat, "...the brakes are nice on this thing..." and he replied it has a front big-brake kit. I think it's the Van Cafe version but apparently they all offer the same level of performance. I then took it down a half-mile steep descent and WOW......no fading at all, full power to brakes at all time... very MODERN feeling. The brakes on his 5,000 lbs Westy were WAY better than on my stock '84 brakes with a much lighter 3,400 pound weight.

As part of the need/desire to upgrade your van to be a little safer, more modern, more comfortable, whatever..... I can give a big THUMBS UP to a front big brake kit .... you will NOT regret it.

- Chester

H2O-Box Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:50 am

Good to hear some first hand feedback on them....

B-

kenmag Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:10 am

Hi Chester, it is definitely an awesome upgrade. After my suby conversion it was apparent the stock brakes needed attention as my driving style changed.
I found it took a good 200km or so for the big pads to seat themselves. Adding rear discs or bigger SA drums to complement the front will further enhance the braking performance. Add some bigger sway bars to the mix to help the front braking dive...

Ken

dobryan Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:19 am

I added rear discs and twin piston calipers with larger discs on the front (all from SmallCar) to my '87 Westy with the Subie 2.5 and really loved the result. If you do an engine upgrade IMHO the brakes need to eventually be upgraded as well. I agree with everyone that they feel very modern with the upgrade.

1621 Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:36 pm

I went for both the Big Discs up front, and the Smallcar rears after the conversion and I've almost forgotten what it was like to drive the hills with the stock set-up. Brake fade gone, brake dust multiplied. I can handle wiping down the wheels from time to time.

j_dirge Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:15 pm

ChesterKV wrote: I then took it down a half-mile steep descent and WOW......
- Chester
Moeser Lane or Potrero? :wink:

ChesterKV Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:18 pm

j_dirge wrote: ChesterKV wrote: I then took it down a half-mile steep descent and WOW......
- Chester
Moeser Lane or Potrero? :wink:

Sort of a Westfalia going down Moeser Lane.

izzydog Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:32 am

Ohmygod I may have built that custom beauty! Back in the 70s I had a job at Custom Van Company of SSF building beautiful custom vans like that one. LOL. We would take a brand new empty van and "customize" it with cheap swivel seats, cheap furniture, cheap carpet,(I was the carpet guy) cheap diamond and heart-shaped windows and a cheap paint job. The painter was a coke dealer and the owner was this weasel named Bob who was always standing around trying to figure out ways to make the vans even cheaper. Golden memories my friends...

Jeff / San Anselmo

ChesterKV Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 pm

izzydog wrote: .... Golden memories my friends...

Jeff / San Anselmo

I would say the only thing that van deserves is a golden shower but this isn't that kind of forum.

Or is it?

:oops: