TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Exhaust and Fuel Question for 2.1-Wolfsburg 1988
snowjobb Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:54 am

The muffler and Cat is rusted out on my van. Need advice on the following(I looked through countless threads but none addressed these):

1. Whats the best way to inspect and determine if the exhaust piping/manifold pipings should be changed?
2. Since I have to change the muffler and cat should I just change the exhaust piping as well?
3. If I only change the muffler and cat, I was concerned with the flange on the exhaust piping matching with the cat. Will I have any alignment issues or do I need to be concerned with snapping the flange on the exhaust piping connecting to the cat?
4. When I change the Cat out, do I just hook up the oxygen sensor to the port? Do i have to get it re-timed?
5. I ordered the fuel replacement kit from Van Cafe, but they did not have the Fuel Rails in stock and said the manufacture stopped production. With all of the threads I have read, none specifically mentioned changing these out. Do I need to worry about these? They said typically the rails don't fail.

Sorry for the questions, I ordered a Bentley but its not here yet.

tencentlife Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:26 pm

I see everyone's ignoring you. Might be too many questions in one post. Break it down and you'll interest more and different people.

I don't deal with the stock exhaust, but I can kill the last two.

3. You just screw your same oxygen sensor in the new exhaust. Nothing else is required for tuning. Use some aluminum anti-seize on the sensor threads, avoiding the tip, and on every other fastener so it's easier to disassemble later. Never use silicone sealants anywhere in the exhaust as the stuff can kill o2 sensors.

4. Check out your fuel manifolds for any damage when you have them out, but they've very rarely been known to give out.

floggingmolly Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm

The fuel rail issue was discussed a coupla weeks ago. Do a search for fuel rail. Most are in fine condition as tencent said. I think Ben of bensplace fame has some photos of some nasty rusted rails, but that may be someone else. Seems if it is in good condition visually and does not leak, it is OK. Mine appear to be just fine, but if I recall correctly, you picked your's up form the PNW, so you may have a different experience.

ftp2leta Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:09 pm

snowjobb wrote: The muffler and Cat is rusted out on my van. Need advice on the following(I looked through countless threads but none addressed these):

1. Whats the best way to inspect and determine if the exhaust piping/manifold pipings should be changed?
2. Since I have to change the muffler and cat should I just change the exhaust piping as well?
3. If I only change the muffler and cat, I was concerned with the flange on the exhaust piping matching with the cat. Will I have any alignment issues or do I need to be concerned with snapping the flange on the exhaust piping connecting to the cat?
4. When I change the Cat out, do I just hook up the oxygen sensor to the port? Do i have to get it re-timed?
5. I ordered the fuel replacement kit from Van Cafe, but they did not have the Fuel Rails in stock and said the manufacture stopped production. With all of the threads I have read, none specifically mentioned changing these out. Do I need to worry about these? They said typically the rails don't fail.

Sorry for the questions, I ordered a Bentley but its not here yet.

Hi, i will sound rude but i'm not...

1- Take a picture and send it here, to your question, you need to be a mechanic to judge that, are you? Again, take a picture of the flange.

2-Same question as #1???? But let's asume that the header (2 in 1) must be dead.

3- Picture, picture, picture. If you are here and asking those question is because you want to do it yourself? Why? To save money i guess, like most folks here. But how can we know the condition of theose flange??????????? The 2.1L J pipre is flexible at both end, so it's easy the align.

4- 1 on 2 time, the OS won't get out easy, you may even strip the threads on the OS and the CAT, so be ready for a new OS. No need for re-timed.

5-No, the problem is not now, it's after you mess around with them....

Your are probably new to Vanagon, and that is fine. Now i'm curious, why don't you go see a good mechanic??? I wonder?

Ben

snowjobb Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:15 am

I finally uploaded some picks, but I think I made my decision to just change out the Cat and Muffler. Since I live in So Cal I was going to risk the pipes.

Thanks for the info TenCent, Floggin and ftp2leta. I did down load info on changing the fuel lines from BensPlace and KayakWesty. Should be starting in about an hour.

As for a good mechanic, I will take it for jobs that I get into trouble or complicated engine work. I want to become one with my van.

I did turn wrenches in the Army for about 3 years, so I am not an expert but I can read and I know the difference between metric and standard.

thanks for the info guys, I'll take pics after I change out the items.

ftp2leta Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:41 am

snowjobb wrote:

I finally uploaded some picks, but I think I made my decision to just change out the Cat and Muffler. Since I live in So Cal I was going to risk the pipes.

Thanks for the info TenCent, Floggin and ftp2leta. I did down load info on changing the fuel lines from BensPlace and KayakWesty. Should be starting in about an hour.

As for a good mechanic, I will take it for jobs that I get into trouble or complicated engine work. I want to become one with my van.

I did turn wrenches in the Army for about 3 years, so I am not an expert but I can read and I know the difference between metric and standard.

thanks for the info guys, I'll take pics after I change out the items.

Hi again, the rest of your exhaust is super fine... "J" pipe included (second picture), changinf the CAT is not a "Rust" problem but an "Getting old" problem, they oftern clog and can gice you a lot of problems, including a total breakdown. I would also put a new OS sender wile there.

Good luck
Ben

Wildthings Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:41 am

I would guess that in southern California that you still have the original exhaust pipes and that they are getting pretty thin near the head flanges by now. As they thin they begin to crack. Mine have been built up with weld metal for the first 3-4 inches away from the heads flanges at this point on both my 83 1/2 and my 86, my wifes 91 never had any repair to the point it got a Suby. Don't know if there was any improvement in the metallurgy between 86 and 91 or not.

simd0ggie Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't see any black sooty areas where it looks like anything is leaking yet. Just keep an eye out for soot, especially around the flanges. And use you hand to feel for leaks.