TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: H & R Purple Springs ?
pete000 Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:12 pm

I have the H & R red springs and heard of the Green springs that are slightly lower and stiffer ( can not seem to find them any where available with out shocks included ) Now I hear of H & R purple springs. What the heck are they all about????

Eric?

Lanval Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Read here:

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/

Maybe email them with your question. I assume that since it's their product, that:

1) They'd know the answer;
2) They'd be happy to talk about it

Best,

Lanval

240Gordy Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:24 pm

I have the lovely purple springs. They are currently pretty clunky but rumor has it they settle in after a couple or three hundred miles. Only lowered my van maybe 1 1/2 inches or so. It drives very nice on smooth roads, The green ones are much firmer and shorter I understand but harder to get and pricier.

I got mine from Jason at the Ford dealer in Bellingham. he is listed as a distributor on H&R's web page.

Eric D of course has had both installed on his Tristar I believe.

pete000 Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:43 pm

H & R USA only shows one application. I have spoken to them and they seem clueless on their own products ! At least the USA H & R rep.

a914622 Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:16 am

What is the measurement from the center of the wheel to the fender lip with the purple springs???

I have got to get some "real" springs under mine. The worn out carats just are not cutting it. Does any one know if there is any one making a 30mm drop (carat) progressive spring?

thanks jcl

Boogievan Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:13 pm

I have the purple springs, and they just were not low enough...
I now currently have "angle grinder sport tuned" stock springs in the front and "Angle grinder sport tuned" purple H&R springs in the back.

The only big downfall is that the rears are rubbing on the spring buckets, and they make some noise sometimes. Really not that bad, though.

Also, they could fall out pretty easily if I decided to jump my van.

H2O-Box Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:51 pm

^^^^^Any pics of how the van sits with this set-up????

B-

Bubs Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:51 pm

My van has the H&R red springs, lowered it about 3''. Horrible ride, but nice aggressive look and great handling with the KYB shocks and wider tires.

240Gordy Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 pm

this is my van on h&r purple springs, the wheel is 18" with 225-40 tires.
virtually the same diameter as stock 14" 195R70s

Tristar Eric Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:27 pm

Are you saying that there are 3 varieties now? I only know of 2 personally. The pink / violet ones and the green.

Sport = pink / violet

Cup = green

Purple = ? race ?

All the big Porsche T3's in europe had the greens. If you need a set of green H&R cups for your Vanagon, call Tony at Plus-One motorsports in Portland Or. He called me recently to tell me he can get them through H&R. (not cheap though) I think he mentioned that it was a "cup kit" mated with Koni adj. shocks. ($1200)

I'm still running my Green H&R's, best money spent so far.

240Gordy Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 pm

not sure what colour are these, purple or pink?

Gordon

edit: what is the meaning of "cup"? this must be the highest performance spring? how is it for rdie around town, noise etc? my pink/violet/purple springs are so far very noisey. everything feels solid but certain kinds of bumps are very annoyingly clangy.

will it ever stop . . .