TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: a question of etiquette
nm_phil Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Like others, my van struggles to keep up with highway traffic sometimes--particularly in the case of an incline, stiff breeze, or both. The question is this: at what fraction of the speed limit is it appropriate to switch on the ol' hazard lights?

ChesterKV Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:37 pm

I think you mean, THE ENGINE CONVERSION switch

- Chester

nm_phil Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:46 pm

mmm yes. I read your conversion saga with great interest a while back. I'm still working up to it.

Robw_z Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:53 pm

It's tough to call on a proper fraction... I just judge by the perceived annoyance and length of the line behind me before flipping the switch. It's kinda like raising a white flag for me... "yeah, sorry, I'm slow".

-Rob

foodeater Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:17 pm

10-15mph below the speed limit seems to be about when the trucks turn on the flashers going up steep grades.

OxygenDestroyer Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:41 pm

I rarely consider it, but if I'm in the mountains between Norther Cal and South Oregon and I''m getting passed by cars who are going 15 mph faster than me and they are only going the bottom pf the limit then I'll flip them on. It's not really a fixed ratio for me - it's more a matter of how many cars are on the road and how many of them are passing me and the overall driving conditions (night or day, rain, ice, etc). I just feel like when it's time, I'll know it. Getting a new motor in two weeks - hopefully it will no longer be an issue then!

240Gordy Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:24 pm

I drive a bus occasionally and we will use the flashers only in a few places when going substantially slower than traffic, like downhill with the jake brake on, 70=80 kmh where the limit is 100-110 km/h

if you are in the curb lane of a multi-lane road then they should be able to see something as big as a vanagon. no excuse for running up your backside and being surprised by a brick on the road.

Tristar Eric Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:34 am

I don't have that problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjKprNmiD00

I would say anything below 45mph would be the number.

ChesterKV Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Tristar Eric wrote: I don't have that problem...

Nice U R A B U S

K58 Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:06 pm

I can do that going downhill too :wink:

levi Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Yeah, but isn't that only the FIRST time around the dial?
Remove the peg, and let's see it do another loop. :wink:

dokarex Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:51 pm

In Nova Scotia I think it's the law to turn on the flashers if you are doing under 70kph on a 100kph highway (That's what the signs say anyway)

Volksaholic Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:39 pm

It depends on whether I trust my insurance company if the person that slams into me is not insured.

Actually it depends on a number of things. If I'm pulling a 55mph canyon at 40 mph on a sunny day I probably wouldn't use the flashers. If I'm on the same road doing 25mph or 30mph I might, or if it's dark or raining/snowing/foggy. I guess it's just a gut feel... if I think the odds are that someone may come screaming up behind me and not see me it occurs to me to turn on the flashers. Otherwise I don't even think about it. Some folks drive around with them on all the time to increase their visibility but I think that's a distraction and a problem in itself.

nealcapener Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Never thought of that. Everybody here drives 10-15 below the speed limit.

Neal
Sequim, Wa
The slow driver capital of the world