TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: S. African headlight grill
Camp51 Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Does anyone know who is selling these? If anyone has installed one, are they easy to install?

Robert

dpdunrite Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Van cafe, Go westy have the grill or just use the search Luke..

her are the installation instruction see this web site http://users.qadas.com/~kanas/Vehicles/Syncro/South_African_Grille_Procedure.html

dp

MsTaboo Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:50 pm

I just upgraded my 90 multi last month with a sa grill from busdepot. Went on pretty easy. There are a few things to know. You want to make sure you locate the new inner rounds as carefully as you can. There are no measurements supplied and the end result will look like crap if you just wing it. The S.A. grill is rather flimsy and the connectors for attaching to the front of the van are metal, they grab harder than the plastic inserts of the orig. Take a screwdriver and spread the metal receptor clips a little so it's easier to remove the grill. I also took apart all the light buckets and primed/painted them a satin black so the parts disappear behind the grill. Mine came with some cheap outer rounds that don't automatically line up with indents in the buckets, the lights are skewed slightly (have to get some good Hellas!) However the cheap lights do have an extra, small, low watt bulb which I have wired for running lights. Kinda kool! I may have to cut some new indents in the buckets to level out the beam.
The new look is great and worth the trouble. Remember though that the new inner lights cannot be ordered by themselves, if broken by rocks you're sol. (maybe?? anyone out there know a source for the Audi 5 inch rounds?)
Hope this helps.

Camp51 Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the info and tips, much appreciated.
Can' wait to have the new look and more important the better night visibility.

Rober :)