TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: pullled CV and axle . . .pitting ????s
daisy chicken Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:10 pm

I pulled my wheel bearing and axle/CVs. The wheel bearings looked fine and so did the flange and splines. The bearings fit on stub axle nice and tight. the outer CV joint looked fine with minimal pitting. also originally I had my axle nut tighten by a shop to the proper torquing and still i could wiggle the wheel. I posted pictures of the inner CV joint that had what I thought is significant pitting.

I have it posted on Flickr search acphoto1 and my photostream should come up.

IS THAT CONSIDERED SERIOUS PITTING? could that have caused the slight wiggle? there was also a dull scraping that would sound upon accelaration? I also checked the brake backing plate, but doesn;t seem to be rubbing. Never pulled a whole axle out, but sure glad I have. understand how they work now. never be stranded from that. I may just buy a new CVs and axle then keep the other as a spare. what is consensus? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

daisy chicken Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:37 pm

ended up finding a great example of pitting and cv maintence. Just for anyone else that may get confused with cv's

here:
http://www.type2.com/bartnik/cvjoints.htm
cheers :lol:

r39o Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:24 pm

Two thigs happen.

1.Pitting. Of course. Just swap them so the worn part is not the pressure side. (DO NOT MIX AND MATCH PARTS FROM OTHER BEARINGS. Keep all parts together.)

2. Wear out. Even with little or no pitting they can wear out. Wear out means the are all loosey goosey and practically fall apart in your hand from being real loose. They should be a little stiff when assembled. They should be a little hard to assemble. If your are have a lot of give and you can play around with the assembly and it kinda is sloppy, it is worn and should be consdered suspect. CVs like that will click (frequently) and have a tendancy to break leaving you stranded.

I replaced all mine with new German ones for $250 a few years ago. Might want to investigate that avenue. Do NOT buy the cheapie ebay China ones.