TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help! Engine reinstallation
madmax25 Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:41 pm

So I've got the thing rebuilt and ready to bolt up, but I've run into a problem. The engine doesn't seem to want to go all the way into the bellhousing. it stops right here...

This question might be a shot in the dark, but maybe someone else has had this hiccup before. What could it be getting held up on?
Thanks in advance...
-Elliot

morymob Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Common problem=clutch disk not aligned/centered correctly before press plate bolts tightened,gonna have to do right in order to fit up. done this myself moore than once.

madmax25 Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:06 pm

Cool, that makes sense. Last time I made a special alignment tool out of a screwdriver and electrical tape, but this time I said, "hell with it, I'll eyeball it" :roll:
Shortcuts never pay off...
Thanks.

MarkWard Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Did you have the clutch off? If not, you may be able to still get it in. The trick is to turn the crank to align the splines and pilot bearing. I do this. Set the hand brake, put the trans in gear. That should hold the input shaft in place. Now with a wrench on the alternator belt or the blower shroud, turn the crank. You only need to move it a little for the splines to line up. If you had the clutch off, you will need to verify with a clutch alignment tool that the disc is centered. You, can in a jam find a deep socket to use as an alignment tool. Aftermarket alignment tools can have too much slop. You may need to slide and hold the disc centered as you tighten the pressure plate bolts. An assistant will make the job easier. Someone to turn the crank, while you slide the engine in. Do not use the studs to pull it in. It should slide in fairly easy. Remember to put a very thin film of grease, on the input shaft splines.

morymob Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:13 pm

When not aligned correctly the trans input shaft is held off to one side and wont enter pilot bearing. these tools are cheap,usually plastic(noeffect on use) and should be a part of tools=if u do your own work u will use it again sometime.

funagon Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Even if the clutch disc is aligned perfectly it's still tough to get the engine aligned and installed on the trans. The mating surfaces of trans and engine must be aligned on the same plane. It requires some trial and error, no way around it. Try turning one of the rear wheels gently to make the trans input shaft turn, too.h

madmax25 Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks for the tips. I tried some of that but no luck. The plane idea makes sense, that's probably the problem.
Tomorrow's another day...

Wildthings Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:06 am

You need to make sure your transmission is in gear before trying to rotate the engine. If not in gear you will just rotate the tranny input shaft and get nowhere.