TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: oil out the tailpipe, blue smoke
boxstar Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 am

Okay, evidently another sad mechanic story... my wife shows up in the middle of an oil change and our 84 Vanagon camper is smoking and dripping oil everywhere.

My guess is they overfilled the oil. She now seems a bit sluggish and leaks oil when she didn't before.

Suggestions, and any info on whether our camper will have a shorter lifespan now are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MarkWard Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:38 am

Check the air filter. It could be soaked with oil if it was overfilled causing the smoke. Check the invoice to see how much oil you were charged for. I don't think the engine was damaged by overfilling.

boxstar Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 am

Thanks,

yup, 1/2 soaked air filter and "oil fouled" spark plugs... actually still some oil residue on the plug! A couple of vacuum hoses were also off.

Lesson learned!

OIL FOULED
IDENTIFIED BY WET BLACK DEPOSITS ON THE INSULATOR SHELL BORE ELECTRODES. CAUSED BY EXCESSIVE OIL ENTERING COMBUSTION CHAMBER THROUGH WORN RINGS AND PISTONS, EXCESSIVE CLEARANCE BETWEEN VALVE GUIDES AND STEMS, OR WORN OR LOOSE BEARINGS. CORRECT OIL PROBLEM AND REPLACE THE PLUG.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch07/7Fig12.html

BigDog Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 am

Hmmm... I think the real lesson learned is never to let someone else change your oil.

ChesterKV Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:56 am

boxstar wrote: Okay, evidently another sad mechanic story... my wife shows up in the middle of an oil change and our 84 Vanagon camper is smoking and dripping oil everywhere.

My guess is they overfilled the oil. She now seems a bit sluggish and leaks oil when she didn't before.

Suggestions, and any info on whether our camper will have a shorter lifespan now are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oil "techs"........ FTL