TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: plumbing question
vwKind Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:18 pm

started filling up the water storage tank (for the first time) from the inside of the van, got about 3/4's full and noticed water leaking out of the city water connection on the outside. i had the cap off and it was dripping out pretty good.

im guessing this is not normal....

any ideas on what the problem could be before i start tearing it apart?

thanks

Lanval Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:04 pm

You were filling from inside, through the top? Kind of strange since the external connector is a bit higher than the actual city water connector...

I can't think of any obvious reason this should happen, unless the water pressurized the system, forcing water out the city water connector. I have seen water come out of my city water connector from using the sink, and that's because when the system's open, it's open across both connectors.

One way to solve this (I believe I saw this first on Dogpilot's ride) is to cap the city water connection on the bottom of the faucet, and figure out some other use for the city water connection (I think he has a 12v external power source, or a solar power input...)

Best,

Lanval

Terry Kay Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:14 am

I wonder why you were filling the water tank from the inside---??

Lost the key to the filler plug?

I wonder why you had the city water fill plug out at the same time you were filling the tank too?

I'm not saying this didn't happen, but if you only had the tank 3/4's full there is almost no way that the water could back up, and out the city water intake port--

Better check and see if Ed Norton did some plumbing work under your sink---something is really outa wack & screwed up.

tosu Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:26 am

It's possible that there was a bit of water trapped in the city fill, & air pushed in from below pushed out the water, though if the water continues to flow, call Newton a liar. We never use the city water inlet, uses too much water & we dont trust the water utility's quality.
BTW I often fill through the top of the tank especially in Mexico using the plastic carboys.