TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New fuel pump is whining
tortuga Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:08 am

A few weeks ago I finally got around to replacing the old gas tank and getting everything resealed. I also decided to go ahead and replace the fuel pump, as I have no idea as to how old it is. We recently had a rebuilt engine put in the van last March, so I felt that I would continue along the lines of replacing some of the really old necessary parts with new ones. Well, the new pump is making quite a bit of noise (cavitation). The tank is new, lines and filter are new, etc., but wow, I wasn't expecting that.

I went ahead and put in the still usable old fuel pump back in the van and the noise went away. My "butt dyno," however, feels as thought he van ran better with the new, noisy pump.

I've searched the archives and noticed that this seems to be a problem with quite a few people with new pumps/tanks. Has anyone figured a way to silence them? Is my new pump defective, or is my old pump not putting out enough fuel? I currently don't have a way to check the fule pressure, but that may change . . .

Wildthings Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 am

There is a thread that talks about running the return into the pump inlet. This should lessen the suction on the pump. Mine is going to get this done the next time the wife doesn't need the car for an afternoon.