TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: replacement propane tank for vanagons
Vanderpooch Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:51 pm

i am choosing between a weekender and a GL vanagon and would like to know if the replacement propane tanks can be fitted to either vans or if it will only work for the camper?
Thanks

candyman Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:36 pm

Well sure it can be fitted. You just have to know where to drill your line holes, then you have to fabricate two mounting plates to hold up the tank. Not the easiest job but can be done. I guess my questions is why? Niether the the gl nor weekender have a stove or a fridge, so a tank would do you no good unless you plan to instal a fridge or stove. In that case a norcold frige and a coleman stove would be the way to go, no need for the 300 dollar propane tank, just a deep cycle aux battery and dispsable propane tanks is all you need sans.

Lanval Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Candyman's right. Why bother given the options you're looking at... guess that leads me to ask what you want the propane for?

Best,

Lanval

Vanderpooch Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:36 am

Thanks for replying guys...

neither actually. What I would like to do is install the propane for a Propex heater. cooler w/bag of ice and a camping stove suits me fine, but i do a lot if winter camping and need a heater! any deep cycle battery heater ideas? otherwise i'm still fishing for more detail on the propane tank retrofit...

THanks

bucko Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:10 am

Most are converting from the underframe 3 pound tank to those 1 pound cylinders you can buy at any camping supply store.

You may want to think about this; much cheaper!

Texxxxx Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:01 am

I just installed a propane tank from GoWesty on my GL to fuel a Propex.

On my van and underneath the van and on either side are 4 threaded holes with threaded plastic stoppers. You can't use all four because the length distance doesn't match the propane tank length. The width is the corrrect distance and I used the front two on the passenger side and then drilled two more holes to hold up the tank.

No mounting plates were neccessary to hold up the tank as the tank has bars on either end that fit perfectly between the body and the main chassis.

The one pound propane cylinders aren't recomended because they don't last too long, and the tanks are 3.3 gallons....not pounds.

I put in an aux bat with 12V outlets to power a 12V Coleman fridge. The fridge will drain the battery overnight...but will still be cold. I bought an Odyssey PC1200 for the aux bat and used a Yandina battery combiner. There are lots of very informative threads on the aux bat and Yandina...which is where I learned about them.

Here is my Propex install, which is complete and working well:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299613&highlight=propex

Lanval Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:58 am

On the other hand, dealing with running out of propane is much, much easier if you're using the pound cans. You can switch 'em in a minute, and don't have to get out in the weather to turn the nozzle, etc.

I'll say this, though. If all you really want is the heater, I'm thinking that a regular propane tank is your easiest call. You can put it outside and run a hose, all you need is a simple mount on the back door or bumper. Personally, I'd find that quite a bit more tempting, for size, simplicity and cost.

Best,

Lanval

r39o Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:44 pm

I think the studs are on both sides, actually. You can put the tank right or left. To combat Westy lean, I want to put my tank on the right side, "one of these days!"

All you need are the nuts and washers and you can hang the tank.