TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Forming an Arizona VW Bug club... Page: 1, 2  Next
cinemawoz1 Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:28 pm

I'm new to the VW scene all together, and I fell in love with my '69 Bug, so much in fact I'm thinking of starting a VW Bug club in the Phoenix area. Since there isn't an active Bug club already in Phoenix, I will pick up the slack. If anyone here reading this is interested and lives in the Glendale/Phoenix area, respond to this topic, tell me your thoughts and suggestions.

8)

Joey Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:37 am

Just Bugs? What about the other types?

fmartin_gila Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:06 am

Whatever happened to the 'Arizona Volkswagen Club'? Back about 1992 or 1993, they were a very active bunch.

Fred

Max Welton Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:39 am

cinemawoz1 wrote: Since there isn't an active Bug club already in Phoenix,
What about Wolfsburg Registry?

http://www.wrphx.com/

Max

cinemawoz1 Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:02 am

56ovalbug wrote: Just Bugs? What about the other types?

All old school VW's

cinemawoz1 Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:03 am

fmartin_gila wrote: Whatever happened to the 'Arizona Volkswagen Club'? Back about 1992 or 1993, they were a very active bunch.

Fred

Dead, I think. Not active enough for me... if there even alive.

ts88 Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:50 pm

That would be cool, but for all air cooled VW's (bugs buses sand rails what ever) Pat

dubluvv Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:26 pm

Max Welton wrote: cinemawoz1 wrote: Since there isn't an active Bug club already in Phoenix,

Max

ts88 Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:09 pm

73superb wrote: Max Welton wrote: cinemawoz1 wrote: Since there isn't an active Bug club already in Phoenix,

Max

They seem to be east valley, not much for us in Glendale.

cinemawoz1 Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:09 pm

ts88 wrote: That would be cool, but for all air cooled VW's (bugs buses sand rails what ever) Pat

Yeah, If you've got an old school VW that you take pride in, your welcome to join. The Crows VW Bug club will be an active club, more than others.
Families are welcome to our BBQ's and cruises. I wanted to mainly focus on bugs, however I've gotten a lot of responses about buses joining as well.
The Crows will be a laid back, West coast style VW club.

8)

rotorimp Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:01 pm

I'm in Surprise--Definitely be down for a meet!

Where?

When?

cinemawoz1 Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:43 pm

rotorimp wrote: I'm in Surprise--Definitely be down for a meet!

Where?

When?

Awesome! Need more kats like you. I will email you when and where we will meet. We're in the infancy stage of forming this club, so were still putting things together.

[email protected]

cinemawoz1 Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:49 pm

rotorimp wrote: I'm in Surprise--Definitely be down for a meet!

Where?

When?

I will send you updates as to when and where our first meets and car show will be at. Be patient though, were still forming this club but it's coming together nicely. 8)

rotorimp Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 am

Sounds Good!!

azwrenchjockey Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm about as far southwest as it gets, 157th ave and Roosevelt, and I still drive over to the weekly Saturday night car meet on 83rd ave North of Union Hills (Safeway Parking lot). I don't know if you guys are familiar with it, but there are usually 6-10 ACVW's and about 100 other Hotrods and customs. It's like a mini Scottsdale Pavillions.

rotorimp Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Might be a good meeting place for the group to get to know each other.

azwrenchjockey Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm not really interested in joining a "club" per se, but I like meeting other VW owners and talking shop. The guys I've met there are all pretty nice and range from 18 year olds with beat rides to age 50+ with superclean restos. It's just a nice place to meet new friends and hang out on a Saturday evening. Right now sunset is the best time to arrive, but everyone generally sticks around till about 9-10pm.

Ann Mezger Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:41 am

I'm fairly certain there are already several VW clubs in your immediate area. You need to go check out lowlifevw.com - most of the members are AZ locals & they have established cruise nights at Sonic with a very good turnout. If you don't mind politics & membership dues, Wolfsburg Registry is a very active club with formal monthly meetings & club sponsored events.

Desertbusman Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:37 pm

Pretty much thought that Wolfsberg Registry was more west side oriented.
Check it out.

There is also the Arizona Bus Club.

So you want a get-together for VeeDubbers? Show up this Friday evening at the Sonic on east Broadway in Tempe. Second Friday of every month unless there is a special event to alter the schedule. Suppose there are usually 30 or so VW's there. AZ Cruise Night.

Check with Oval Joe. Can't remember the German name of his club. Some of us know it as the No BS VW Club.

And evidently there are a bunch more groups and clubs around the Valley. All different types.

Havn't been to the Scottsdale Pavilions on Saturday evening in a few weeks but it was a good gathering of VW folks. It's the big weekly Custom Car and Hot Rod Show.

Did you go to the Flagstaff High Altitude Kampout this last weekend?

There are so many VW events going on around here that I don't really see a need for more "clubs". Unless you feel you need to have another sticker on your window or another club shirt.

rotorimp Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:11 pm

I live in Surprise and work in Glendale. I really don't want to drive all the way to Tempe 1hr+ drive. Would be cool if there was a few Vdubbers to hang with in my neck of the woods. I think that is the goal here.