TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: California smog
Duff Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:13 am

Can anybody tell me what problems I might run into smogging in California a 1984 Westy from Arizona?

albiwan Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:42 am

DMV allows you to register cars which were originally bought without CA emissions in CA. The smog equipment distinguishes between CA and non-CA emissions.

You used to have to pay an extra fee for bringing non-CA cars to CA, that fee was eliminated a few years ago.

So if your AZ van is running right, there is no problem getting it smogged in CA.

To optimize chances of it running right and passing smog the first time, drive the snot out of it before you take it in for smog; everything should be fully warmed up. Less likely to pass emissions if the car is cold.

r39o Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:00 am

There is a thread about passing CA smog. But, I am too short on time to find it for you.

Use the SEARCH function to help you locate it.

terryg Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:43 pm

r39o wrote: There is a thread about passing CA smog. But, I am too short on time to find it for you.

Gee, that was a real helpful post! The standard Samba - "USE THE POST" - glad you took the time out of your obviously very busy schedule of posting to anything that comes along. Particularly since the previous responder actual answered the poster's question. Have another shot and go to sleep.

r39o Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:16 pm

terryg wrote: r39o wrote: There is a thread about passing CA smog. But, I am too short on time to find it for you.

Gee, that was a real helpful post! The standard Samba - "USE THE POST" - glad you took the time out of your obviously very busy schedule of posting to anything that comes along. Particularly since the previous responder actual answered the poster's question. Have another shot and go to sleep.

Since I see you could not be bothered to look also, I decided I should take time away from my children to find it for you:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231313

Searching on:
California smog
smog test
etc

Gives lots of good information, but you too did not have the time I see.

floggingmolly Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am

Terry,

I think r39o was trying to be helpful here, as you can see by the many helpful posts he places on a regular basis. He was particularly helpful to me in finding a post on shocks a while back. He was encouraging people to USE THE SEARCH, which is very good advice. Some people don't even realize it's there, especially newbies.

The first respondent gave him some info, but there is more out there, and r39o was poiting it out. He at least took the time to let the guy know there is a post out there, and to look for it. Who knows why r39o was short on time, maybe he was searching for a resolution to his own VW problem and came across someone else in need. He gave a triage answer in the short time he had, and did it in a polite way.

Then, he closed the loop with the actual post. Not many will do that for you.

Thanks r39o.

And yes to the OP, get the temp up before you go in. Mine passed just fine when very warm, although the NOx at 15 mph was close to the max.

Scott