TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Riviera camper Bus propane tank
lx450landcruiser Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:52 pm

hello all Im new here and have a few questions regarding a 1976 Riviera camper Bus propane tank.

I bought the tank to use on my camper trailer as i like the size however I have some questions regarding the tank.

1. Are people still using these tanks? where and how do you fill them?
2. It looks as though this tank hasnt been used for awhile how do i go about making sure its ready for use?
3. Is it possible to use the tank in the upright position? (i.e valves upright)

sorry if some of these questions are dumb but im new to these.
Love the info here its a great site

Mike

Terry Kay Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:47 pm

Mike,

Are you talking about the typical RV vertical top valved bottle that can be filled , or swapped out for a full one at Wal Mart or just about any gas station?

lx450landcruiser Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 pm

The tank i have is from a 1976 Riviera camper Bus. Its supposed to be mounted horizontally however i was wondering if i can mount it to the valve is up right like a standard tank? Im assuming the horizontal tanks have some type of plumbing in the tank itself to allow for the liquid to vaporized and come out horizontal?

thanks
mike

Terry Kay Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:20 am

If the tank is a horizontal tank--that's the way is should be mounted--

What--do you have it out and have another place you are thinking of stashing it?

Where might you mount a horizontal tank vertical?

lx450landcruiser Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:18 am

Im trying to use the tank on a trailer that i tow. the trailer will have the kitchen and water. Are there places that recondition these or are people just changing out the valves them selves?

Terry Kay Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 am

If you want the tank rebuilt & recertified send it Manchester .
Plan on spending just about what a new tank would cost

What's wrong with the tank that your thinking it has to be rebuilt?

Or--are you just assuming that something may be screwed up?

Have you used it in the VW at all?

lx450landcruiser Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Tank has surface rust and hasnt been used for about 5 years. I purchased it sight unseen. I guess ill just scrap the whole idea as i wasnt looking to spend much on this idea. Ill just go buy the standard mini tanks

thanks for the help fellas
mike