TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cluster issues. Fix or replace?
meyervw Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:00 pm

I have a few things here. I had most of the light on the cluster. So I went down to VW and bought some new bulbs and holders. Now none of the lights work. The clock flashes but cannot be set and my temp gauge is not working. This could also be the sender. I have to test. But would it be easier to fix this or replace it and swap in my speed with milage? Thanks.

Vanagon Nut Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Check that the connectors are inserted the correct way and seated properly.

On my cluster, I recall inserting the large connector (this is on an '81 though) the wrong way and having strange issues.

Cheers,

Neil.

sbclayton Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:48 pm

Simplest notion is your connector is reversed. Second is that maybe you disturbed the printed circuit film when you had the cluster out, so if that large connector is in fact plugged correctly, check the printed circuits. These run most of the cluster stuff and can and do break. Sometimes jury-rigged repairs can be made with some 30 gauge insulated wire from Radio Shack or other electronics supply houses. It is even possible to make a soldered connection with a clean, tinned, fine-tipped 25-watt soldering iron and a *very* light touch.

On my ride, I had some corrosion under the washers connecting my fuel gauge to the circuitry. Sometimes the gauge would work, other times not, and would sometimes stop registering below the half-full mark. Some very *delicate* burnishing of the exposed copper circuit with a pencil eraser, and cleaning the nuts and washers with some fine (800 grit) emery cloth restored gauge function when I also repaired the broken circuit - a double-whammy problem.

I used an ohmmeter to test the circuits - again, *gently*. If you are comfortable with this diagnostic tool, you could maybe do the same... But like VN said, check the connector plugging first - and also maybe shine up the contacts on the cluster side.

mightyart Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:32 am

Was it like that when you bought it?

meyervw Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:48 am

Mine was except the lights. 2 of them worked but when I took them out and put the new ones in they did not. I put the old ones back in but it still did not work.

Raynor Shine Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:52 am

do any of the other lights work? near the heater levers? Make sure your dimmer switch is good, I am on my 2nd one in 3 years.. does the clock itself work and just not the light? the contacts on the blue tape can be tricky sometimes.

meyervw Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:08 am

The clockworks but flashes. I press the buttons with a pin to set it but the left side makes it go dim and the right side resets it all to 0. I will check the other dash lights.

mightyart Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:19 am

Check the part number on the blue wire foil, and verify that it's the correct one for your year Vanagon.
Some weren't interchangeable without a few mods.
The PO of your van might have switched pods.

meyervw Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 pm

Ok I did the smart thing this time. I went out when it was dark and the dash lights DO work. Last time I put a towel over the dash and looked but saw nothing. So I was wrong on the lights. But I still have to fix temp gauge and clock.

keithwwalker Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:22 pm

This is your van telling you that it doesn't like your Avatar!

meyervw Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:52 pm

My Vanagon strives to be the F108