TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Coolant temp sensor question.
meyervw Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:50 pm

The one that feeds the gauge. Is it the sensor that is in the coolant bottle? Its an 1986 Vanagon 2.1L. I need tio figure if its the gauge or sensor that is not working. Also I am looking at page 82.31 of my bentley foir this info. Is this right?

glutamodo Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Page 82.31 deals with the auxillary heater, or "heater booster" and that's not what feeds the dash gauge.

The sensor on the coolant expansion tank is a level sensor - it makes the dash light flash when the level gets below its electrodes.

The one that feeds the coolant temp sensor on the dashboard, that's at the big plastic box that holds the thermostat - in the Bentley on page 19.11 - it's the sensor on the right side, it has two captions pointing to it, one is a misprint - above it, one says "Temperature Sender coolant display" the other below it says "Temperature sender for injection" which is wrong. The other sender on the left side of the diagram is the one for the fuel injection. The one you want will have a yellow/red and a brown wire going to it, as seen on page 97.92. track 70.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

-Andy

meyervw Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:57 am

Perfect :) Thank you.