TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: compressor capacity in amps question
weatherbill Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:54 am

was wondering if anyone knew the capacity of a standard compressor on a 2.1L. How many amps can I run on it without the risk of frying it???

40, 50, 60 amps???

OilNBolts Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:44 am

Don't you mean the alternator? Are you looking for the power available to run your hydrogen cell, beyond the vehicle's own needs? The standard alternator on your 2.1 is capable of delivering 90 amps when new, and somewhat less, perhaps 70 or 80 amps when a few years old.

tencentlife Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:12 am

It's rated 90A, but it won't deliver that even new. Expect the high 70's for a perfect alternator. If the brushes are in good shape, it should still be able to deliver that even with age, but its peak voltage might drop gradually due to degradation of the winding insulation. But they're built with enough margin of peak voltage that that should never be a problem.

Whether you can get that many amps to where they have to go is another question. If you want to operate the thing near rated current all the time, you might want to improve the wiring to it, and add a heavy dedicated ground for the alternator chassis.

weatherbill Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:01 am

ummm , yeah,,....I mean alternator...... I should wake up a little more in the morning before I post 8)