TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Side winddow felt...how to save big$$
tschroeder0 Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Hey all,

So today I went on a mission looking for a felt strip for the side windows, cause I ain't spending 80 bucks to get new ones. I came across "pile weather stripping" (3/16ths high 1/4inch wide) I got 17 feet of it for under 10.00 dollars!

It has a sticky back but otherwise matches the original almost exactly. I used a razor to trim a ver sma;; bit off the sides so I could get in in, but once in it was great looks stock, doesn't move and no more rattles!

Thanks , Todd.

tschroeder0 Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:15 pm

by the way the company who makes the stuff I used is "dennis" Todd

meyervw Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Lets see some pics.

Vanagon Nut Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:13 pm

tschroeder0 wrote: Hey all,

So today I went on a mission looking for a felt strip for the side windows, cause I ain't spending 80 bucks to get new ones. I came across "pile weather stripping" (3/16ths high 1/4inch wide) I got 17 feet of it for under 10.00 dollars!

It has a sticky back but otherwise matches the original almost exactly. I used a razor to trim a ver sma;; bit off the sides so I could get in in, but once in it was great looks stock, doesn't move and no more rattles!

Thanks , Todd.

Not sure if this is the same stuff or same quality, but I used strips of residential type close cell foam 2 years ago on the drivers window as a temp fix.

Still holding and too true. Works fine.

Neil.

tschroeder0 Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:36 pm

I will try to post some pics,but I'm pretty busy tonight

the stuff I used had the same type/color of felt and the same backing material of the stock old stuff I removed, it truly looks exactly like the material I see for sale.

r39o Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:27 am

Please tell us specifics. Where to buy. Brand name. UPC code. Part number. Etc.

It is a big world out there, with lots of stuff you can buy, if you know exactly what to buy!

FNGRUVN Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:54 pm

Hey Todd, I found some felt strips that are almost exactly like the originals at Home Depot down the weather stripping isle. We might be talking about the same stuff, but I can't remember mine having a self-adhesive backing. The felt was attached to a thin strip of flexible plastic about 1/4" wide. Anyway, it worked great. The strip of plastic fit perfectly in the channel.

reluctantartist Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:29 pm

FNGRUVN Do you have the brand name of the stuff you got...and maybe a pict?

Thanks

tschroeder0 Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:23 pm

I no longer have the bag but again it was Called "Pile weather stripping"

the company name is "DENNIS"

I've done both windows and they are working great and look stock, I even took a close look at the stuff for sale on the various van sites and the backing material is exactly the same with the exception of the stick back.

Todd.

ohlott Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Picture Please. :lol:

FNGRUVN Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:59 pm

reluctantartist wrote: FNGRUVN Do you have the brand name of the stuff you got...and maybe a pict?

Thanks

I posted the idem number from Home Depot a while back. If you do a search you'll see it. I don't have the number anymore. If you can't find it using the search let me know and I'll swing by HD and get the number/brand.

shenan-agon Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 am

You guys are talking about the slider windows, right? I think this is the old thread with the part number:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261624&highlight=depot+felt+window

JPrato Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:24 pm

Looks like this could be the stuff. Google, it's a wonderful thing!

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/28-589-door-weatherstripping/pile-weather-seal-616846.aspx

FNGRUVN Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:15 pm

I just Googled MD weather strip and then put in their idem #04267 and it came up with a picture of what I bought. One of these days I'll learn how to post a link. Old guys and computers don't mix. It does have a self-adhesive back so it's probably the same stuff the OP(Todd) was talking about. I didn't have to do any trimming, so it might come in different widths.

tschroeder0 Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:54 pm

yeah the link from the other post is what I bought, seems like a lot of talk over such a small thing but it just pisses me off that it costs 80$ to buy it from the van vendors, I understand mark up but c'mon

and i gotta say the windows are so smoooth! :)