TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Different axle installation approach, I think?
fortheloveofvdub Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Got a: 1986 2wd, Westy Weekender, 2.1
Y’all,
I just finished sandblasting, painting, and rebuilding my rear bearing housings and backing plates (so it's all off and on the bench). I’m going to flip and re-pack the CV’s / axles.
Can anyone think of a reason why one couldn’t bolt the wheel side CV to the bearing housing before installing it? It was a pain in the hoo-ha to unbolt. I was thinking I could bolt it to the bearing housing and then (with the guiding arm of a buddy) bring the axle from the outside/ through the suspension “box” and then support it with a bungee strap in place while I bolt up the bearing housing? :idea: I was thinking this might avoid the handfishing situation of sticking in the bolts from underneath. Then I could bring them up to torque with the bolts already snug where they should be. Any thoughts or bewares?
Thanks to any willing to comment,
Jere

TopBud Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:18 pm

I have an 86 syncro and doing the axles cv's was a pain in the ass. So I took off the 4 bolts (22mm) if I believe that held n the bearing housing off and then undid the allens from the transmission side and pulled the whole thing off through the outside of the vehicle. I reassembled it like that also, it was much easier, but those bolts that held the bearing housing on were touch to get off. I did it by myself with a jack stand to help "hold " everything in place. I choose this method because my allens on the wheel side were caked with mud and I was not able to find the allens. It worked out well.

tencentlife Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:58 pm

No reason not to do it that way, if you find it easier. You'll still want to check the torque on all the CV bolts after a few hundred miles. They have a habit of needing another nudge after they run in awhile.

fortheloveofvdub Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tip on the hundred mile or so check as well (good to know).
jere

mr_vanagon Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:05 pm

tencentlife wrote: You'll still want to check the torque on all the CV bolts after a few hundred miles. They have a habit of needing another nudge after they run in awhile.

I'll second this advice. I forgot to do this once and after a few weeks, several bolts worked loose and the last one sheered off while I was climbing a hill. Oops. I hate walking to call for a tow.