TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Country Homes syncro camper VS. Westfalia sycro camper ?
Smothers Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:39 am

HI,
Can someone explain the differences between a "Country Homes" camper and a "Westfalia" camper?

Thanks!

Smothers Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:58 am

Ok, I guess the main difference is the Country Home van is a conversion.
I assume they are not as highly thought of as the westy, and therefore sell for a lower price than a westy. Yes, no?

They dont look as cool on the outside, something about the camper top not extending all the way forward.

Any thoughts on the Country Home campers?

MattVW Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:19 am

Well, the Country Homes campers don't have a sink/stove/fridge etc. setup like the Westy's do. (I'll have to check on that though).

Some people say the CH campers have more room, and others disagree.

And yes, Westy's typically sell for a bit more, in many cases A LOT MORE.

Jamos Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:24 am

I have owned both...
and they both have their pros and cons.

I'd say that it general the westfalia conversion is a bit higher quality build in most regards...and that in general westy's will sell for a higher price.

CHC:
-flip-forward 3-person rear seat with a mattress that folds forward on top of it.
-single sink/fridge/cabinet unit
-top goes straight up and comes stock with a 3-window "tent"
-most have a flip-up glass sunroof over front seats
-the top on my old one was made of ABS plastic and had started to crack due to stress near the hold-down points

Westfalia:
-pull out rear seat/bed
-multiple cabinets
-more comfortable upper bed
-tops are made of fiberglass and is in general stronger

I liked the CHC a lot, but in an ideal world I'd have a combination of the two.

Here's a cross section of one:
http://www.countryhomescampers.com/vanagoncross.htm

and here's a pic that gives you an idea of the interior:
http://www.countryhomescampers.com/graphics/preowned/buxton/Vanagoninside.JPG

fasteddy64 Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:04 am

I have an 87 Country Homes, it does not have any of the cabinetry that came with it, but has a nice homemade wooden cabinet with sink and stove behind the driver's seat. I love how roomy the interior is and really like having a full width seat/bed. The upper bed is not as comfy or roomy as a Westy but is more than enough for my 9 year old.
I love the layout of the Westy interior but only when camping, the rest of the time I felt like I was carry a bunch of extra weight and losing a lot of space, my Vanagon is a daily driver. The country Homes is a nice comprimise.
Ed Maikranz
Abilene, TX

oorwullie Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:01 pm

this looks like they just threw in some stuff from a garage sale. but i don't like the gray plastic vanagon westie stuff either.