TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1980 Fuel pump problem
cacatfish Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi, I am new here and trying to track down the starting problem with my 1980 westafalia. I have done some searches and a few tests but cant figure it out.
The fuel pump is not getting power when cranking and not priming when the key is in position 2. I check power at the double relay and it is getting power from the coil at key position 2, but no power from the starter in either position 2 or when cranking.
Im not sure which leads off of the back of the starter solenoid are supposed to have power at key position 2. I get power from one of he two fat terminals (cables from this terminal go into the harness and also to the little box down on the framerail.)
The other terminal doesnt have power at position number 2 (this one just has a fat red wire that goes to the little box on teh framerail)
Now since it is a VW it needs a strange twist, so here it goes:
before this episode it had a thing where the fuel pump would run ALL the time that the battery was connected. When I stopped the car, I had to disconnect the battery since it would run teh fuel pump constantly and drain it. Key in or out didnt make any difference. I replaced the double relay and now this. I even put the old relay back in just to make sure it want the new one.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Colin

terryg Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:11 pm

Colin,

I have to admit to not following what you are saying, but it sure sounds like the 'little black box on the frame rail' is an added starter relay. Check for those connections being right. There should be a small blue wire that goes into the harness toward the double relay that fires it when the key is turned to start. There are diagrams available on the web for this relay. If you cannot hear the solenoid clunk either, it could be the connector that attaches to the back of the ignition switch. They fail and cause nothing to happen when the switch is turned to start.