TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bay Z-bed into a GL?
Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:50 pm

It's been a while since I posted here, so I'll make up for it with what may be a dumb question...

A guy locally has a z-bed from a Bay for sale. My daily driver '84 GL has a solid bench rear seat.

Would the z-bed fit with a little modification? I'd like to use my Vanagon to do a little weekend camping when the weather cools off a bit here in GA (probably around Dec. the way the summer has been going!) And a bed would be VERY handy.

(I know that there is a "proper" bed to put in the back, but the one from the Bay is a good deal if you guys think it might fit with a few mods.)

Thanks!

Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:33 pm

Has no one tried this? If not I guess I'll be the first. :D I was hoping for a heads up as to wether it was worth the try...

berge13 Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Lookin' for the same situation....

I have these:

I wanna turn this into a Z-Bed:

Berge

Famous 01 Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:03 am

Not sure if this will help but . . .
In the late model vans (I have an '88 Weekender and 90 GL), the bed mounts on a frame screwed into two welded-in nutplates; the back of the bed latches on two pins. The Weekender models use a slightly narrower bed, narrower frame and four gold-anodized spacers to fit inside the Weekender plastic trim but use the same nutplates and pins.

Here's the frame on which the seat is mounted. As I say, the Weekender frame is about 3-4 inches less width.

-Kent

berge13 Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:04 am

Thanks Famous, that paints a clearer picture of what needs to be done. It seems that any mod. is going to reflect the skill level of the person doing the mod. Using existing attach areas on the 83.5 Std. GL will probably produce at least a fold down bed.
Berge