TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rebuild Question - New Oil Pump = Lower Viscosity Oil?
VladeSpado Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:20 pm

I am rebuilding a 1.9L engine for the first time. I have opted for the new camshaft and will have to get a new oil pump anyway. If I put in a new oil pump can I use a lower viscosity oil? May sound stupid but I would like to know.

Wildthings Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Maybe, maybe not. What oil have you been running and how tight are your bearing?

VladeSpado Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:22 pm

It's not a motor that came out of my car. The guy sold it because it was making a "knocking" sound, and he put a ford focus motor in his van. I am quite sure that knocking sound was a stuck lifter, or even a pretty worn camshaft. Regardless, I bought it, split it, and now realize what I have to do to slap it together. From the advice I have seen, I have decided to go with a new camshaft, lifters, ALL bearings, and of course a new oil pump. I really don't care, but I would like to know if I can put a thinner oil in the car when it is done. I live in So Cal, so maybe this would be a deciding factor. As always, any advice would be appreciated.

Alan Brase Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:23 pm

VladeSpado wrote: It's not a motor that came out of my car. The guy sold it because it was making a "knocking" sound, and he put a ford focus motor in his van. I am quite sure that knocking sound was a stuck lifter, or even a pretty worn camshaft. Regardless, I bought it, split it, and now realize what I have to do to slap it together. From the advice I have seen, I have decided to go with a new camshaft, lifters, ALL bearings, and of course a new oil pump. I really don't care, but I would like to know if I can put a thinner oil in the car when it is done. I live in So Cal, so maybe this would be a deciding factor. As always, any advice would be appreciated.
.....and why?
Al

VladeSpado Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:53 am

Guess not.

psych-illogical Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Too many other factors involved besides just the oil pump.

The cooling system on the 1.9 is reportedly not quite as effective/efficient as the 2.1 system. It's my understanding that they (1.9) tend to run a little bit hotter.

The oil in these things tends to run pretty damn hot. Many here, myself included, have added an oil cooler. Without one I'd definitely run 20W50 oil.

What oil pump will you put in. I added the high volume pump from CIP1 to my 1.9 (actually a 1.9 based 2.2 from GoWesty).

What are the main and rod bearing clearances. If they are really tight and you can be sure your engine will always run as cool as possible then maybe you could consider a lower viscosity oil. Modern Japanese engines typically call for 5W-30 oil but they are built to very close tolerances and maintain very tight temperature control.

Personally, I've got a completely new cooling system, a relatively new, tight motor, a high volume oil pump and added an oil cooler. I still run 20W50 and my oil pressure is right where I like it, about 40 psi at highway speeds with the engine fully up to temp.