TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Beware of the Frankensyncro!! Page: 1, 2  Next
Williamtaylor33 Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

This is a quote from "syncro.org". "Beware of the Frankensyncro".
So what are the downfalls of the homebrew syncro's? And more importantly how does somebody spot a homemade syncro?

candyman Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:38 pm

first giveaway would be gas tank filler location. if there are two, now either a very rare double tank syncro or hack job.

r39o Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:43 pm

candyman wrote: first giveaway would be gas tank filler location. if there are two, now either a very rare double tank syncro or hack job.
Hack job?

That is a bit harsh. Sure some people may not do a good job, but I have seen some VERY nice conversions. Remember they started with a Vanagon body and changed it. Done once at the factory means you too can do it.

Some people add a second tank too. Use the filler for that.

If done well, I suspect one of these (so called) "hack job's may be nicer than some factory ones.

Like any vehicle, any Vanagon needs to be inspected to be sure everything is the way it should be.

carterzest Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:56 pm

candyman wrote: first giveaway would be gas tank filler location. if there are two, now either a very rare double tank syncro or hack job.
Good example and bad example below...http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=646462
There was one recently in the classifieds that was a much better example and in the description you could tell that the guy was trying to bail out because he just could not get it right. the one above appears to be a pretty sweet conversion, but, I am a bit confused as it has the front passenger gas filler, the rear telltale syncro gas filler,but the confusing part is the driver side gas filler???perhaps he converted it and left the front tank as a 2nd tank? it does not give any clues....again, good example of the front and rear on the same van, but bad example because it appears that it is pretty sweet!

Hope that helps! :D

floggingmolly Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:26 pm

I think the double front gas filler ports are for quick pit stops. :shock:

Or for when gas goes to $10 a gallon and they only allow you to pump $100 from a pump. You can fill from 2 pumps at once.

Williamtaylor33 Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:35 pm

r39o wrote:
If done well, I suspect one of these (so called) "hack job's may be nicer than some factory ones.

Kinda what is was thinking. If done right the 4wd conversion could include stuff that woudl be useful. Such as a rear locker/ or front decoupler. I dont think these were stock syncro items.

tsombrero1 Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:35 pm

I like mine :)

I'd be wary of someone's first attempt at it though.

The other way to tell (besides the vin) is the little rubberized mini-mudflap things at the rear of each wheel well. Not actual mudflaps, but same idea. Only natural-born Syncro's have those afaik.

[edit] oh yeah, and if all else fails, crawl underneath and look around where the rear of the front suspension assembly bolts on to the frame. See if you can spot a nonfactory weld giving the assembly something to bolt onto.

candyman Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:53 pm

r39o wrote: candyman wrote: first giveaway would be gas tank filler location. if there are two, now either a very rare double tank syncro or hack job.
Hack job?

That is a bit harsh. Sure some people may not do a good job, but I have seen some VERY nice conversions. Remember they started with a Vanagon body and changed it. Done once at the factory means you too can do it.

Some people add a second tank too. Use the filler for that.

Like any vehicle, any Vanagon needs to be inspected to be sure everything is the way it should be.

Perhaps "hack job" was a bit harsh, but I have seen about a half dozen, and well, they were pretty much just that, a hack job. No question about it, it can be done right, I've yet to see it, it is however, probably one of the hardest conversion to do right, and unless you are not short of cash, would cost more to do it right, then buying a natural syncro. As far as the rubber wheel wells, I believe that was an option, as my syncro (I am second owner) does not have them, wish it did though.

vanagon john Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm

this could be said for all sorts of vanagon stuff

- people putting on pop tops
- subaru conversion

If done correct it could be a great thing...but done wrong it could suck

goffoz Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:02 pm

There's one around these parts...that came from Seatle
It started life as a 2wd Gl 7 passenger....Ho-hum
...And now!...Ta-da!! Its a Syncro, TDI poptop- wolfsburg....and its so well done...in everyway.
.I lust for it :twisted:

When mine finishes incubation, I hope it will be as cool :D

r39o Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:03 pm

vanagon john wrote: this could be said for all sorts of vanagon stuff

- people putting on pop tops
- subaru conversion

If done correct it could be a great thing...but done wrong it could suck

There ya go pressing my buttons!

The pop top thing is a toughie too, I agree.

The Suby thing is just NOT. The state of the art of the conversion keeps getting better daily. For the EJ22 you buy the parts and install. No big deal.

Just remember:

"For every type of conversion there is a zealot."

vanagon john Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:52 pm

I guess what I was trying to say that bad things can happen when people don't know what they are doing. If someone is doing a build of any kind and they suck at working it's going to be crap.

this is just my .02 and that's the beauty of a forum like this. If I had the means of doing a conversion then I would do it.

Is a suby a bad thing- not if you know what your doing. I know some people who should stay away from working on any cars but they think they konw what they are doing. So to say that it's getting easier I will show you people that could mess it up. SO if in the wrong hands it could be crap.

Is a frankin westy a bad thing- not if done by someone who knows how to do it

Is a frankin Syncro a bad thing- not if done by a person who knows what they are doing

So to say that you should stay away from a home made syncro is kind of crazy. Do your homework and you will be OK.

r39o Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:17 pm

There is some truth to staying away for some one else's conversion. Most of us never intend to sell our conversion. Too much work. So if someone says they only have driven so many miles or they just finished it a few months ago, then ya I would be weary. You just do not do that kind of work and flip da van. Or it is hosed up and they want out from it.

So you really either need to know what you are looking at and can deal with the issues or you have the conversion checked out by a pro and go from there.

In other words, you need to be careful.

suebicum Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi

Quote: For the EJ22 you buy the parts and install. No big deal.
For a hous you by 2x4's and install. No big deal. :twisted:

As mentioned there are people who can #%^& up every thing.
Question is why would you build a Syncro? it can be done, I know of some, but the builders will tell you that its just not economical.

Quote: So what are the downfalls of the homebrew syncro's? And more importantly how does somebody spot a homemade Syncro?

Downfalls: non, if professionally assembled.
The first Syncros where assembled By SDP in Gratz (Austria) using Vanagon body’s made By Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge in Hanover and Syncro parts from SDP.

How to spot one: a good one only on the Vin# if the 11th digit is not a G (for Gratz) it cant be a Syncro and on M# on the factory sticker (M299= all wheel drive)

Same goes for a pop top, I installed mine using the Westfalia aftermarket method.
Cut hole in roof put a stiffening frame in there, bold the pop top to stiffeners in the roof, done.
But, you can also weld the factory installed Westy roof structure on a passenger van, if done right, you can only tell by the M# on the factory sticker (M609 VW Campingwagen, M724 prepared for Camper or Salescar, M941 prepared for Weekender, also some P# and W# for Westfalia interior)

Michael

Williamtaylor33 Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:50 am

suebicum wrote:

I have done a search and looked around but could find no one that does syncro conversions professionally.
A couple of the ones i have seen mentioned were "the autobahn society" and "www.stephansautohaus.com" but after i called they said that they dont do them.
Is there a company in the US or Canada doing these with a good reputation?

suebicum Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:20 am

Hi Williamtaylor33

Go Westy has done it, but as I said it does not make any sense to do it, because its to expensive.

With professional I meant done by some one with enough knowledge to do a good job.
The ones I know where done by the owners them self’s.
And even this was hardly a financial winning situation.

Michael

r39o Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:31 am

The Syncro is VERY sexy. Sex costs. Some want it real bad. But, they may not have the means to buy it. So they do it them selves. This generates the desired outcome. It just may not be all that satisfactory.

mightyart Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:39 am

Williamtaylor33 wrote: suebicum wrote:

I have done a search and looked around but could find no one that does syncro conversions professionally.
A couple of the ones i have seen mentioned were "the autobahn society" and "www.stephansautohaus.com" but after i called they said that they dont do them.
Is there a company in the US or Canada doing these with a good reputation?

What's wrong with just buying a real syncro?

suebicum Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi

Quote: The Syncro is VERY sexy. Sex costs. Some want it real bad. But, they may not have the means to buy it. So they do it them selves. This generates the desired outcome. It just may not be all that satisfactory.

:? :?:

What is that suppose to mean?
If you don’t have the money to by a Syncro you cant make one ether.
You need a complete donor for all the Parts.
The only time this could be working is if you get a wrecked Syncro and have a good 2WD. Even then a crashed Syncro is worth more in Parts then as donor.

So I'm with mightyart, What's wrong with just buying a real syncro?
Or different, what would you win making one?

Michael

aswah Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:59 pm

gowesty does them... rather expensive