TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 84 Westy, Back Up Lights
kenm5063 Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:50 am

Hello fellow Westy's, and Westyette's. The backup lights are not working on Buttercup. She has a 4 speed manual transmission. Regular ol' 1.9L. I know which fuse feeds the circuit, and I know a mechanical switch is involved. Any tips, or heads-up on troubleshooting this problem. I did check the bulbs. I have not started the troubleshooting process as of yet. I plan to check the line side of the fuse, the fuse itself, and the line side of the mechanical switch, the operation of the switch, then the load side of the switch and finally the bulb sockets. Anybody know where this mechanical switch is? I saw a pic of it in the Bently, but hard to discern where it is on the transmission. Anything to watch out for, ya know like a weak point mechanical, or electrical. I'll do search too, in case someone else has been there, done that. Thanks for the help, you people really rock! :)

Dogpilot Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:52 am

The switch is on the driver's side of the tranny, kind of sticks out on the near the top forward of the CV's. It should have a plug and a wires coming out of it. It may have broken wires there or corrosion may be present in the plug.

kenm5063 Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:57 am

Damn it Dogpilot, I waited 30 seconds for that reply. Watcha doin', goofing off again? :) Thanks, I appreciate the quick reply.

Gauche1968 Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:00 am

Is it possible that the shift linkage is not aligned correctly so the rod is not contacting the switch?

Dogpilot Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:04 am

I am utterly useless until I have sucked down at least two cappuccinos in the morning. So I gaze at the Samba sucking down my brew until I am coherent enough to do my work. It is kind of become a ritual.

Gauche1968 Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:02 am

Dogpilot wrote: I am utterly useless until I have sucked down at least two cappuccinos in the morning. So I gaze at the Samba sucking down my brew until I am coherent enough to do my work. It is kind of become a ritual.

Not a morning person, huh? I can't understand how some people can be so chippy before 2PM!! :evil:

Dogpilot Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Yeah,
I'm basically a vampire. Live all night sleep all day. Then again, a lot of my work happens 12 hours out of sync with the US. It could also be the influence of my paleolithic cat, he looks a lot like the Flintstone's cat in markings and size, so he kind of hypnotizes me with his habits.

kenm5063 Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks Gauche1968 I'll check that too. I too love my coffee in the AM. I make it at the house for the trip to the workers den. The local stop n' robs have weak coffee.

billybobrudebaga Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:01 pm

Best thing to do is to get under the Van (safely of course) and inspect the transmission. Look for the only elec. connection on there and make sure it is connected...if so...clean contacts....if it still doesn't work....go to your FLAPs and buy a back up switch and replace...they are pretty cheap (less than $30).

I had to replace mine a few years ago...it was super easy and only took a few minutes.

Good luck.

-Billy

floggingmolly Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:44 pm

Dogpilot wrote: I am utterly useless until I have sucked down at least two cappuccinos in the morning.

I will be reporting you the Geology Board. No cappuccinos for geologists! [-X At best you may have espresso, but only in significant quantities, all at once. Geez, next thing ya know you'll be drinking Zima or wine coolers. I'll be keeping an eye on you DP.

Dogpilot Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:28 pm

No, not the board. They may take my hammer away! Honest, I'll switch back to good old teeth rotting Navy brew.

floggingmolly Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:42 am

Very well, carry on. :D

kenm5063 Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:33 am

I left my Bently in the wife's car. She's at work now. Which fuse feeds the back up lights/switch? 84 Westy, manual transmission.

Dogpilot Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:34 am

Look here:

http://www.vanagonparts.com/fuse_panel_83to85.html

kenm5063 Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:37 am

:) I printed it, and will stick it in my Westy File.

kenm5063 Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:58 pm

The switch was bad, replaced it, hunky-dory now. Thanks to all.