TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: hearing a low pitched whine at 45-60 then disapears
theboogawoof Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:29 pm

ive got an 87 syncro that i just love, wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this whine i got going on. i pulled the driveline and scoped the U-joints and they seemed to be fine no play or anything. before i took the driveline off i was seeing if it had any movement and noticed there was a small small amount of play when pushing on pulling but didnt seem like it was coming from the u joints. i dont think i am not getting any noticeable vibration but i am new to volkswagens. also just a newbie question whats the deal with driving distance with no driveline is it just as if it were a 2wd?

my syncro is my house for next year i am traveling wherever i want snowboarding for the next year or so. i have some mechanical experience but not with volkswagens so anything is helpful.

casey

kevabar Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:55 pm

Did you drive the van with the prop shaft removed?

yes, you can drive a syncro with the prop shaft removed. You will notice a world of a difference... especially the first day it rains. Find a hill with a stop sign or traffice light and then go uphill from a dead stop. You will miss the syncro immediately.

iceracer Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:16 pm

Try what the other says, My 86 has a whine but I know it is the tranny. Whines like a son of a B, but still works. Probably is the ring and pinion or a main bearing in the trans. If you haven't done so, change the trans and diff oils. Go with Redline, do a search on this here. GL4 for the trans and GL5 for the diff. Go to Syncro.org for more info on trans oils.

Could even be your tires but a whine is a whine. Can also tell if you are moving at those speeds and push in the clutch and if it disappears it is the trans. Mucho Dinero to rebuild but if you plan to keep it, you will need to do it. Ouch!!!

Mathew Zelezen Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Remove the drive shaft (but first be sure you mark those eight bolts so you can reinstall it the same way... its finicky like that).

Then take a look at your wheel bearings (front and back) and then check the trans.

Always go from least to most expensive... and DON'T use Redline.