TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shift Problem Fixed!
ProvoCyclist Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:05 pm

In another thread, i mentioned (did I? i dont remember...) that my reverse lockout was gone and I could go into reverse or 1st gear at the most inoppurtune times. I got to lookin' and fixin. No more words, just pictures.

Old shifter part:

New shifter part:

Okay, words again. I dont think my Van has shifted so smoothly in all the time ive owned it.
I'm frikkin ecstatic! :D

Dogpilot Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:46 pm

So which shifter part number did you order and what did it cost?

floggingmolly Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:06 pm

wow, that's what I call wea and tear.

Alan Brase Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:38 am

ProvoCyclist wrote: In another thread, i mentioned (did I? i dont remember...) that my reverse lockout was gone and I could go into reverse or 1st gear at the most inoppurtune times. I got to lookin' and fixin. No more words, just pictures.

Old shifter part:

New shifter part:

Okay, words again. I dont think my Van has shifted so smoothly in all the time ive owned it.
I'm frikkin ecstatic! :D
New parts from the dealer: (almost) priceless!
Al

ProvoCyclist Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:51 am

Dogpilot wrote: So which shifter part number did you order and what did it cost?

Its part number 251 711 271D, and it cost $80.65. Yup, straight from your local VW dealer.

There were a couple kinda tricky spots, first was on removal/installation, the PS lines were in the way a bit, theyll have to flex ever so slightly. On the install, theres a frame member that you'll encounter, just reach your arm back and push the rod down and it'll slide the rest of the way in.

The other somewhat tricky part was aligning the 2 shafts so itd shift properly. I'm not even sure i can explain it and not get confusing. Basically, the shift pattern is mirrored in both the X and Y axes (when your looking down on the shift knob), so instead of reverse being at the top left, when youre under the van, reverse is now back and to the right. Just remember, the trans will naturally push to the 3-4 side of the pattern.
A diagram!
|R-1-3| ..............|4-2...|
|...2-4| becomes |3-1-R| when youre fenagling around under the van. Clear as mud eh?

I found the first gear position and lined everything up. Theres room for some adjustment fore/aft for the shift knob, I ended up with the shift knob about 1" further from the dash (closer to me) than it was before. Before you reinstall the shifter box, be sure you grease up where the little plastic bits travel! And smooth off any rough spots in there.

Anyway, I know that was really wordy and i'm sure full of heresys. I havent measured the 23mm clearance from whatever when the transmission is in 1st gear, i dont really think i need to.

If any local guys want to feel what a brand new shifting system feels like, gimme a holler in a couple weeks (im headed out of town, yay vacation!), id be happy to let you drive it around.

Raynor Shine Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:59 pm

I just ordered this part too. The one listed on busdepot is for syncro. $80 from 1stvwparts.com. In the interim, I cut some plastic tubing and slid them over the metal ears of the shifter to reduce the harmonic distortion. While the shifter box was out, I scraped all the crud out of it and washed it up good. Good grease on everything. Seems a little tighter, but my front bushing by the tank is shot. I'll be redoing this this week. I'll try to post pics. Provo- thanks for the tips.

Raynor Shine Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:56 pm

so this job was a PITA!. Couple of tips to help those thinking about this>

1) Spray the linkage with some WD or Liquid wrench. Let it soak if your linkage is original, mine was.

2) Once seperated, I used a rag aroung the front of the shift linkage and tapped it out with a hammer,mine would not seperate by hand, turn it slightly and pull towards the front of the van turning and pulling downward to clear the bumper.

3) I found it easier to get the new rod in place through the rear, from the gas tank dip ,pull it through just enough to clear the fuel line and body frame. then it slides right into place.

4) getting my new rod back into the rear linkage took just about all my patience. I finally took the clamp off and had to open up the union a bit to get the new rod in. More taping with a hammer from the front and re installed the clamp. Note: there is a small hole in the side of the union that the bolt lines up with to get the clamp back in place other wise it seems like it won't line up.

5) Put a new front bushing in, mine was fried. 13mm nuts hold the plate in place.

6) Couldn't find reverse initially, back under the van, larger channel locks and turn the rear shift bar not the front. I have all gears now, just needs some tweeking & with all new parts, shifts better than ever.

Hope that helps!