TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel line question. (new question)
Stígandi Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:52 am

I am trying to get a name for this part

http://www.benplace.com/fi_hoses/100_0001.jpg

it is where the fuel injectors hook up to the fuel lines.

Does anyone know where I can get these locally in Houston? I have replaced the lines already just need these parts. (2)

ps I have done the "search" already.

erdonline Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:47 am

It looks like you're pointing to the hose clamps. The ones in your picture are the better quality, but slightly harder to find ones with a rolled edge and no serrations so as not to bite into the hose. Auto parts stores should be able to order them for you. Or get them from any of the several online vendors. Bus depot has them for about 70 cents, I think.

If you want to get things up and running now, you could use ordinary hose clamps now, and replace them with the better quality later. Can you get them on and off with everything in place?

I had my mechanic do the lines for me on my '87 Vanagon. I was surprised to see that he used the ordinary clamps. He said that he was careful not to over-tighten them so that they didn't bite into the hose. I would have liked him to use the other clamps, but I think it'll be ok.

Van-Cafe sells a type that seems to be a cross between the two types. The seem to have the serrations in them but they say that they have a rolled edge.

When I do the lines myself on my other Vanagon, the '85 Westfalia, I'll probably get the kit from Van-Cafe, as it also includes the injector o-rings.

By the way, which size fuel line did you use? Some people use 5/16" (jsut under 8mm) because it is readily available, some use 7mm because it was what was orginal. Some use 8mm BMW that one of the vendors sells because they say they've had good luck with it.

Ed in CT

snowjobb Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:58 am

If it is the black thing with four nipples, thats the fuel rail. When I spoke to Van Cafe they said these parts are no longer available so I just reused mine when I replaced the fuel lines.

mightyart Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:17 am

Air cooleds don't have fuel rails like that.
You don't have clamps on your injector lines?

Stígandi Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:01 am

yea I was after the rubber nips. so I shouldnt have those in my aircooled?

erdonline Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:01 pm

So you're talking about the short section of hose that goes from the fuel rail to each injector, right? As per Ben's instructions, you've got to cut these out, measure against new hose, and replace.

Ed

Terry Kay Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Boy--those red arrow's in the picture point right at the fuel line hose clamps--that's exactly what I see---

Any local NAPA store will have the proper hoses, & clamps--whatever you need.

16CVs Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:06 am

All of these pictures of engine fires have finally pushed me to doing s fuel line change om my Syncro Tristar ,we will be doing two of them at the same time. my buddy has one as well.
I went to my local Metric supplier here in town looking for both hose and clamps. they had no 7 mm in F.I. hose but after looking around on their shelves we found roll after roll of 7.3 mm F.I hose. I grabbed a piece and took it home. At home I have a new factory set of VW supplied injectors ,rails and hoses that I had bought off of E bay years ago. I pulled the protective sleeve back and low and behold ,the hose is printed 7.3 mm right on the hose. While I am sure that 8 mm will clamp down and work great.I can rest assured that the 7.3 will work as VW intended it to. They also have the nice Stainless ,Size specific clamps that will not pinch or cut into my new hose.
Although not cheap ,it will be far less than repairing after an engine fire.
The fuel line is "Cohline" and the clamps are made by "Aba " Germany. I am replacing all the way to the tank on pressure and return.
Hopefully there will be no picture of my Tristar burned like the last one. Oh the burned Tristar in Canada donated it's P/W door panels to my soon to be power windowed Tristar and it's gates to Tristar Eric's Tristar.

Stígandi Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:40 pm

ok, I have ordered the FI hose they said they didnt carry "FI Clamps" but they did have a 5/16 screw down clamps. will this work?

Randy in Maine Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:46 pm

See if you can find some clamps that look like this so that they do not cut the fuel line....

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html

OilNBolts Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:51 pm

Get good clamps. The stuff you find at the FLAPS have, as noted, sharp edges that will cut into the fuel line. Also, the slots in the clamp that allow the worm screw to work will allow rubber to extrude through- low budget and cheezy.

Check these out.

http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=1860358319&pct=1532016098&ct=1444678098

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=311133515

mr_vanagon Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Does anybody currently make a metal replacement for the fuel rail? Anytime I have to mess with them I worry about breaking off a nipple.

John Sullivan Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:55 pm

I had some problems with Cohline hose. I used Cohline 2134 7mm hose. I replaced all my lines with Cohline and during a 4 week period I had 2 hoses start to leak. They were not leaking at the clamps but back from them. They also showed swelling from the pressure. In addition Cohline hose has a slightly oily residue on the outside. When the hose is run inside the heat protective tubes it will ooze out at the ends after a short time. You will have the goo effect mentioned in other threads.
After the first leak I wrote about being paranoid with these hoses. After the second leak I tore them all out. I replaced all the hose with 5/16 gates fuel injection hose. Really nice stuff. When you cut the Gates hose in half there is thread all the way around. The Cohline does not have that. Cohline has some thread but no where near the same. The Gates hoses are good they don't ooze and there is not swelling.
The Cohline was $7 /meter the Gates $7/foot. I guess you get what you pay for.

wbx Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 pm

mr_vanagon wrote: Does anybody currently make a metal replacement for the fuel rail? Anytime I have to mess with them I worry about breaking off a nipple.

Older vans like my '84 came with thin tube metal fuel rails stock. Also, if you look on the web, there are performance people who make their own fuel rails, and it really doesn't look too difficult (and sometimes, they even tap in a fuel pressure gage... not a bad idea!).