TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Voltage Regulator or Alternator?
robertc Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 pm

I currently own an '86 GL Westy and my battery/oxs light has been flickering on and off for the past several weeks. I utilized 'the search' and have attempted to troubleshoot the problem. There exists apx. 1/2 inch of slack in the V-belt, which I assume is normal. So, I removed the voltage regulator to see if the brushes were worn out. There appeared to be sufficient brush length (apx. 1/2 inch) left on the regulator; but, to be sure, I dropped by my mechanic's garage to ask. He said that the brushes looked fine and that there exists the possibility that the alternator itself might be failing.

Is there a way to way to determine if the alternator itself is the culprit? I would like to refrain from purchasing a new regulator if I really need an alternator, instead.

Being a novice to the mechanics of my Vanagon, I really appreciate the knowledge that all of you share.

Robert

erdonline Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Did you check the voltage with a multi-meter? With the van off, you should have a little over 12 volts; with the van running, at least 13.4 volts. Check it at the alternator stud (pos. on the stud, neg. to nearby bare metal) Check it at the cigarette lighter as well to see if you are losing voltage somewhere in between.

If it is the alternator, I believe most come with the voltage regulator. Also, the alternators for the same-era Jetta were the same except for the pulley, but often cheaper. You can get the Jetta alternator and just switch the pulleys. First make sure it is the alternator or regulator.

Ed in CT

robertc Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks, Ed. I do not own a multi-meter; but, I think that I will purchase one and go with your recommendation.

Robert

tencentlife Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:21 pm

The regulator happens to double as the brush holder, but they are in fact two separate components so just because the brushes look OK doesn't mean the reg is doing its job. Doing the voltage test Ed described is the first place to start.