TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: POR-15 POW-R-LINER
HeftySmurf Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:25 am

Has any one done the "black out" themselves with the POR 15 bedliner kit? THe LINE-X guy wants a shit load for him to do it, just wondering if anyone has tackled this themselves.

sc-surfer Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:35 pm

Anyone???? Please do tell! I have been wanting to do the same thing but wasn't sure which product to use and wondered how good the results would be.

Anyone??

Anyone have any experience with the Grizzly Liner brand?

tschroeder0 Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:57 pm

I started this project today, for me it will come off sometime in the future when I can afford a good paint job but I am still determined to do a nice job.

After wire wheel, POR-15, self etching primer, I have decided to use a product called "308 Submarine Sealer/cooler coating".
It is made for use in swamp coolers. I first used it a couple of years ago on the rust that forms in the seam on that area in the front of the van behind where the bumper goes on.

At that time all I did was spray it on...nothing else. It lasted at least 2 years in a lot of driving and only now is some rust coming through. With prep this should last a long time. I have also used it to coat my rusted to hell swamp cooler and I can tell you it works.

It comes in a spray can sprays on nice and dries to a quite hard but still flexible coating, washes off nice and it's cheap... about 4.50$ a can.

I live in Boulder and buy it at Mcguckins hardware, I believe you can order it off their web site, I'll try to find more info.

tschroeder0 Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:59 pm

this is the stuff
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-62029/Detail

Todd.

HeftySmurf Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:20 am

I'm pretty impressed with POR 15 stuff and havent seen the bed liner in person, of course the LINE-X guy says their stuff is the best, I figure $255 or so for the black out is a not bad vs $600 to have them do it. THe POR 15 kit does 125sq ft. wonder if that is enough for 2 coats. around the bottom of my van. I used the POR Patch to fix all my seams yeaterday and it came out pretty darn nice. Used a heat gun, marine clean, metal ready, A Dremel and a pick to scrape out the old joint sealer, thinking of redoing all the seamd with this method. As long as you have their Solvent on hand clean up nice, although it is a lil messy

HeftySmurf Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:13 pm

My local Line-X is doing it for $475 out the door..... I'm sold on that!!