TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: aux battery relay 87a and galley wiring
snowblind Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Ok I decided to check out my auxillary battery and associated wiring today. What I found is different than shown in the Bentley and what others have posted. I am not sure why it would be wired as mine is... so let me explain and maybe someone can help.

The relay is a Tyco VF4-45F11, standard auto 40A relay, SPDT.
From the Tyco wiring diagram:
30 = common
87a = normally closed
87 = normally open

For starters, the coil connections match the bentley (blue wire on 85 and red/blk on 86).

30 goes to the auxiliary battery (in the bentley, 30 goes to the main battery)
87 appears to go to the main battery (in the bentley, 87 goes to aux battery)

Ok this shouldn't be a problem... but the issue is I have a red wire connected to terminal 87a. This wire goes to a little fuss block beside the stove-cabinet, into the cabinet and then I cant be certain of where it re-appears.

This same wire has a buddy red wire that is in the same wiring loom, and connects to the AUX battery.

So, what are these two red wires, the one from 87a and the one from the aux battery ?

Vanagon Nut Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:02 pm

snowblind wrote: ......

.... but the issue is I have a red wire connected to terminal 87a. This wire goes to a little fuss block beside the stove-cabinet, into the cabinet and then I cant be certain of where it re-appears.

This same wire has a buddy red wire that is in the same wiring loom, and connects to the AUX battery.

So, what are these two red wires, the one from 87a and the one from the aux battery ?

87a might take power from the main battery to some other appliance or .......

power flows the other direction. Maybe the PO hooked up a solar panel, or battery charger to this wire.

By buddy wire, do you mean a wire connected to the wire from 87a or just in the same loom? (pretty sure you mean in same loom)

If it's not connected, maybe both these wires connected to a solar panel or battery charger.

Cheers,

Neil.

snowblind Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Vanagon Nut wrote:

87a might take power from the main battery to some other appliance or

I can't determine where the end point for the wire attached to 87a. The wire goes into a loom that comes out of the seat platform adjacent to a small black plastic fuse box. The loom goes into the westy cabinet and then (looking through the door) I can see the loom goes behind the cabinet and then it is lost.

Vanagon Nut wrote:

power flows the other direction. Maybe the PO hooked up a solar panel, or battery charger to this wire.

Possible, but then it would only charge when the engine is off, which would probably be a good idea anyways. If the PO knew what was going on and installed everything correctly, what wouldn't you want hooked to 12V with the van running? As you say, the panel or charger makes sense.

Vanagon Nut wrote:

By buddy wire, do you mean a wire connected to the wire from 87a or just in the same loom? (pretty sure you mean in same loom)

If it's not connected, maybe both these wires connected to a solar panel or battery charger.

Exactly, there are two red wires in the loom, one goes to 87a and the other goes to the AUX battery. I suspect the other wire provides power to the galley functions. I disconnected 87A and the water pump and battery check LED still worked.

I am checking this all out because I am looking at options for connecting my solar panel & charge controller. I wish I knew where the 87a wired went to... .. .. ..

-brad

erdonline Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:51 pm

One of the fuses behind the driver's seat is for the sink pump and one is for the fridge. I forget offhand which is which. I do know that the relays were originally wired so that the fridte only got power when the vehicle was running (so 85 connected to 86 triggered 30 and 87 to be connected). I believe the sink pump should have power all the time. Having something wired to 87a would mean that it would get power with the vehicle off, but not when on, as I believe was mentioned already in the post.

But as far as I know, the two wired in the fuseblock behind the driver should only go to the sink pump and the fridge.

Ed in CT

spitsnrovers Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:04 pm

From my memory, without looking into my setup, I offer the following -

the heavy red wire goes to the 16A fuse (in that little black box you mention). From there it goes only to the heater coil of the fridge. That way it only operates when the vehicle is running.

The thinner red wire goes to the 8A fuse.
From there it goes to the sink pump AND the cooling fan behind the fridge, and I believe the indicator panel on the stove. It gets power all the time, without regard to what the relay under the seat is doing.

At least that is the way it should work :?

Vanagon Nut Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:10 am

spitsnrovers wrote: From my memory, without looking into my setup, I offer the following -

the heavy red wire goes to the 16A fuse (in that little black box you mention). From there it goes only to the heater coil of the fridge. That way it only operates when the vehicle is running.

The thinner red wire goes to the 8A fuse.
From there it goes to the sink pump AND the cooling fan behind the fridge, and I believe the indicator panel on the stove. It gets power all the time, without regard to what the relay under the seat is doing.

At least that is the way it should work :?

There ya go. I tend to "think" in terms of my '81 wiring.

But mystery solved? :)

From the sounds of things, both wires are supplying power all the time. (assuming 87a connection is live with engine off)

Maybe the PO wired it so the larger gauge wire powers the fridge even when engine is off?

Or this same larger gauge wire supplies power to appliances that can be turned on regardless of engine running?

Radio, margarita blender.... ;)

Neil.