TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: diesel engine noises
zuhandenheit Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm

I've got another quick question for diesel drivers.

This van is my first VW and my first diesel vehicle. The motor seems to run just fine. But some of the noise from this thing is a little weird. It's got a 'loose change' rattle . . . a semi-random tapping noise.

I took a piece of pipe, put my ear to one end and touched the other to various parts of the motor, and wasn't really able to figure out where it's coming from. At one point I thought it might be the bearing on the water pump . . . but, no.

So i think it might be the old valves clacking around.

To me, it doesn't sound particularly bad. but I'd like to know if anyone else gets this same noise.

If I have to, i'll record it somehow.

jackbombay Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:30 am

Is it coming from the timing belt cover? I've seen the belt get so stretched and loose that at idle it wold hit the inside of the T-belt cover ad make a dinging noise.

Does the noise go away when the RPMs come up above idle? Or does it get worse?

Alan Brase Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:54 am

Could be a lot of things. Perhaps one of the exhaust heat shields. Ir intermediate shaft bearings. It could even be the alternator or water pump.
Make real sure the injection pump is cinched down tightly at all 4 locations.
If any are loose, things will soon be broken.
Al

zuhandenheit Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:18 pm

thanks for the suggestions.

I messed with it again today. I removed the acc belt and the noise remained. it doesn't seem to be coming from the exhaust, or from the heat shields.

I'm pretty sure that it's not the inj pump.

What I did notice is that after I'd been driving for awhile, the noise seemed to disappear. I can't tell if it's present above idle, because I can only hear it when I'm standing behind the van.

It's not a very loud sound. I still think it might be the valves . . .