TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: negative rear camber
zuhandenheit Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:47 pm

I'm going to pester you all with one more question for tonight.

I've noticed that a lot of these vans have significant negative rear camber. I've read here that a small amount was built into the bearing design, but clearly not as much as we often have.

When I first bought my van, the camber angle was significant enough that I was worried something was broken.

But, everything seemed ok, and then I noticed other vans have the same problem.

The rear end also sagged, so I bought some of the air bags recommended on a thread here. They are very nice, and seem to help the camber a little.

I also bought new tires (BD's hankooks), and I'd prefer that they never look like the tires they replaced (bald on the inside).

Figuring that I couldn't make it any *worse* I attempted to adjust the camber myself. There was some adjustment room left on both sides, which I used up. One side was much more difficult--it appears that a PO banged the metal under the bolt against something, bending it inward and clamping down on the bushing.

It was a slight improvement. So I know that to further adjust the camber, the bolt holes will need to be enlarged. (before I can do that, I guess I'll need to pound on the metal on the above-mentioned side until it lets go of the bushing, allowing me to remove the bolt)

Any comments on the preceding are welcomed. But here is my main question: What exactly is going on back there? why the funky camber?

reluctantartist Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:37 am

I would take your van to a good alignment shop instead trying to do yourself. Vanagons commonly need to have the adjustment slot enlarged to make the proper camber adjustment. The places like firestone etc. will not know how to do this. For the time and the tools needed to do it right, it is worth the cost.

Good luck

sc-surfer Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:08 pm

Yes, let the professionals do it. In fact, use the search on alignment and find the alignment specs posted by someone here, maybe DogPilot?? or tnecentlife?? The specs a lot of alignment shops have are incorrect. Take the specs to them and have it done right. Worked for me, now it drives better and I'm getting much more mileage from my tires.

Amskeptic Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Camber is closely related to ride-height. What may appear as excessive negative camber may be that the vehicle is sitting lower for whatever reason. These diagonal arms are designed to give you successive increases in toe-OUT as the vehicle gets loaded. You can drive across the country loaded to the gills with rear wheels all buckled in and splayed out, and the tires will wear perfectly. . . IF the camber/toe is correctly set at correct ride height.

If you take it to an alignment shop that does not nail the correct ride height before actually adjusting the camber, your troubles will just be beginning.
Colin