TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how to clean the inside of the fridge
madspaniard Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 am

hi,

I'm a new TheSamba member and a new Westy owner, LA Macarena is a nice orly blue 1990 Westy. The inside of the fridge looks yellowish. I doubt it was ever cleaned before. What do you guys use to remove the old yellow color/scum or lye?

Thanks

sc-surfer Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm

I clean mine with a mild bleach solution or one of those bleach wipes that come pre-moistened. I have never been able to get some of the stains out of the plastic. I've used the bleach, tsp, simple green, superclean, etc... I think once there are stains you're stuck with them.
Anyone else have any success?

noganav Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:17 pm

I use Simple Green for routine cleaning, since it is supposed to be non-toxic. If you've got stains you might try either Oxy-clean, though I'm not sure it would penetrate the plastic, or there is a product called the Magic eraser (I think it is by Mr Clean). They look like a small orange and white sponge and they are absolutely amazing at removing stains from plastic.

ntrd Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:51 am

i am a detailer and VW Vanagon and bus owner, cleaning is my specialty.

to get the yellowish stain and rusty look off the WHITE plastic you must use a polish compound with grit... use circular motions on a micro fiber towel. the best one to use is the 1500 diamond cut compound by chemical guys. hten follow up with window cleaner or surface cleaner... if you didnt want to spend about 20$ for the compound tube, then you might be able to use a solution mixing arm& hammer baking soda mixed with water to creat a "paste" solution and consistency. i am 100% sure this will correct your problem.

visit their website www.chemicalguys.com

let me know how it cleaned up.

-Neil

madspaniard Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:57 am

Thanks Neil,

Yesterday I tried 5 different cleaning products including those mentioned in previos messages. It looks clean but the yellow stains didn't change at all. I'll try your recommendation.