TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: White Star???
Savat Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:56 pm

What is a Vanagon White Star? What makes it so, and what years was it made? I have looked for info, but came up with little.
Hope you can help. Thanks

Steelhead Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Someone will jump in with a formal description, but its the international (non-US) moniker for a WHITE late model vanagon Wolfsburg/Carat. It came with a deluxe trim package, including but not limited to:
- gray headliner
- striped seats
- armrests
- leather wrapped steering wheel
- power windows /locks
- rear facing jumpseats and swing out table
- side cladding and the big epoxy glass bumpers
- heated mirrors
- fluorescent light
- palin isn't qualified
- gray dashpad
- carat springs (lower)
- unprecedented good looks (ok, that might be subjective)

Its siblings came in blue, red and black (bluestar, redstar, blackstar). the key distinction is that whitestars are really in europe and canada. something like 2500 of the US version were ever imported.

crukab Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:44 pm

Steelhead wrote: Someone will jump in with a formal description, but its the international (non-US) moniker for a WHITE late model vanagon Wolfsburg/Carat. It came with a deluxe trim package, including but not limited to:
- gray headliner
- striped seats
- armrests
- power windows /locks
- heated mirrors
- fluorescent light
- palin isn't qualified :lol:
- gray dashpad
- carat springs (lower)

Its siblings came in blue, red and black (bluestar, redstar, blackstar). the key distinction is that whitestars are really in europe and canada. something like 2500 of the US version were ever imported.

VisPacem Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Steelhead wrote: Someone will jump in with a formal description, but its the international (non-US) moniker for a WHITE late model vanagon Wolfsburg/Carat. It came with a deluxe trim package, including but not limited to:
- gray headliner
- striped seats
- armrests
- power windows /locks
- heated mirrors
- fluorescent light
- palin isn't qualified
- gray dashpad
- carat springs (lower)

Perhaps, you could clarify. I have Blue Wolsfburg, 1989 that matches exactly your description in every detail **except** no heated mirrors, that I know. Is there a switch that I never found ?
So is my Wolsfburg a "blue star" (w/o heated mirrors) or is it not a Blue Star.
thanks

nb. It really does not make a difference to me whether it is or not a Star. I drive it, I don't lick it lol

Steelhead Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Sounds like you've got one, except it would only be called a bluestar if it had been bought it in europe (or canada?)...that's the only difference. As far as I know it was never badged "Bluestar" or 'Whitestar"...just a description of a trim package. In the US they have wolfsburg badges, and elsewhere a "hanover" badge. I'm hoping someone that knows more will chime in here. Your mirrors are probably heated, they would turn on with the rear window defroster.

oh yeah, they also have a mostly useless subwoofer built into the panel (next to the table)...

tikibus Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:40 pm

A dude brought something similar down to Westies at Watkins last year.

Man was that a COOL ride. Had some really sweet little mods, like small LED's mounted everywhere in the walls,etc. sweet cooking/galley and had a Palm Tree on the side.

I'll try to dig up a pic. Man, that was a nice ride. From Quebec too.

tikibus Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:46 pm

Here it is, next to Blue:

http://www.limbobus.org/phpBB4/album_pic.php?pic_id=2148

and here:

http://www.limbobus.org/phpBB4/album_pic.php?pic_id=2204

http://www.limbobus.org/phpBB4/album_pic.php?pic_id=1904

Oops! Now who's that? That be me. Pinky Lives!

MattVW Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:43 pm

- gray headliner
- striped seats
- armrests
- power windows /locks
- heated mirrors
- fluorescent light
- palin isn't qualified
- gray dashpad
- carat springs (lower)

I disagree.

Steelhead Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:38 pm

MattVW wrote: Steelhead wrote: Someone will jump in with a formal description, but its the international (non-US) moniker for a WHITE late model vanagon Wolfsburg/Carat. It came with a deluxe trim package, including but not limited to:
- gray headliner
- striped seats
- armrests
- power windows /locks
- heated mirrors
- fluorescent light
- palin isn't qualified
- gray dashpad
- carat springs (lower)

I disagree.

Go ahead and disagree, but I'm pretty certain they never sold any actual Whitestars in the US. :wink:

beatrich Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:45 pm

Did they ever import any "Brownstars?"

jackbombay Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:52 pm

Steelhead wrote: MattVW wrote: Steelhead wrote: Someone will jump in with a formal description, but its the international (non-US) moniker for a WHITE late model vanagon Wolfsburg/Carat. It came with a deluxe trim package, including but not limited to:
- gray headliner
- striped seats
- armrests
- power windows /locks
- heated mirrors
- fluorescent light
- palin isn't qualified
- gray dashpad
- carat springs (lower)

I disagree.

Go ahead and disagree, but I'm pretty certain they never sold any actual Whitestars in the US. :wink:

Hey you guys are close to each other, you can go fight it out in person! :wink:

Steelhead is right though

MattVW Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Right about whitestars, yes.

Right about Palin, don't know, don't really care, that's his opinion and he has every right as a U.S. citizen to express that like all the rest of us in this great nation. FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Protect it as if you life depended on it or as if it was your own child. Ok, enough said.

Let's get back to Vanagons if y'all don't mind since I'd rather leave the politics out of it at this point.

-Matt.

Maimas13 Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Sounds like the beginning of a great Dr Seuss book, I've read over and over before.
Don't forget the "Star's" big Brother the "Tristar" To know one is to love one.

Stacy

Steelhead Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:32 pm

beatrich wrote: Did they ever import any "Brownstars?"

The very rare Assuan BrownStar?

McVanagon Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:27 am

MattVW wrote:
Let's get back to Vanagons if y'all don't mind since I'd rather leave the politics out of it at this point.

-Matt.

I agree. Lets get back to arguing about HHO.

jackbombay Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:59 am

MattVW wrote: FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Ironic coming from a guy that supports a candidate, Palin, that wanted to ban books from public libraries because they don't agree with her religious beliefs 8)

CAN OF WORMS THAT HHO IS I TELL YOU!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MattVW Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:43 pm

jackbombay wrote: MattVW wrote: FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Ironic coming from a guy that supports a candidate, Palin, that wanted to ban books from public libraries because they don't agree with her religious beliefs 8)

You got a link to that? Send via PM.

jackbombay Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:08 pm

MattVW wrote: jackbombay wrote: MattVW wrote: FREEDOM OF SPEECH

You got a link to that? Send via PM.

You have already received the info you desire.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=184086&title=sarah-palin-gender-card

BWAhahahaha!!!!!

MattVW Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:10 pm

aaahh the daily show, funny stuff.

Can we get back to VANAGONS now?