TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: slow speed wobble?
VeeWee Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:20 pm

Hello.
my 85 1.9 auto westy has devoloped a slow speed wobble.
we headed out camping yesterday morning and i noticed a wobble.
it is at speeds below 30 mph.at 55 it was ok.it feels like it comes from the rear.
today on the way back from camping it was worse.you could realy feel it wobble,from the front to the back.
then when we got to the hiway,you could feel it in the steering wheel.
got home checked the front wheel bearings,right side was a 1/8 turn loose.test drove it,still wobbleb but not as bad.
i also noticed that i got a little play coming from the rack,right side.
is there a way to adjust the rack?
any place else i should look,or things i should look for?
thanks.
Shane.

MarkWard Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:27 am

You may have a belt separating in one of the tires. Poor man way to test is to rotate the tires and see if this changes the behavior. Or take the tires and have them high speed balanced. If one is coming apart, it will show up on the balancer. Also check your lug nut torque.

GWTWTLW Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Don't put it off!!!

ahollon Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:22 pm

experienced this on my jeep intermittently, ended up being warped rotors

VeeWee Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:49 pm

hey.
thank you to you that replyed.
i just got back from the tire shop.2 tires were junk.
right front was seperated,the left rear tread was not running true for about 1/3 of the tire.so 2 new tires and it drives nice again.
so thanks again.
Shane.

riceye Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:38 pm

VeeWee wrote: hey.
thank you to you that replyed.
i just got back from the tire shop.2 tires were junk.
right front was seperated,the left rear tread was not running true for about 1/3 of the tire.so 2 new tires and it drives nice again.
so thanks again.
Shane.

Please give us the details on the bad tires. Make, model, size, weight rating, etc.

RCB Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Please do give us the informatiion on the tires. I just bought 8 tires because the price was right, 4 on the Westy and 4 for later, plus an extra for spare.

VeeWee Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:18 pm

if you live in the north west,there sold by Les shwabb.
jupitor is what it says on the sidewall.185r14c is the size.
les shwabb has good tires,they stand behind what they sell.
3 weeks ago i went camping,the road i was on was getting pacthed in places.well,it was friday,time to go home,and they put a sign up that said bump.they lied.it was a 4 inch drop that led to a 5 inch curb.
at least they painted they curb orange so you could see it.
i belive that is what did the tires in.plus hiway 101 in curry county 2 weeks ago.
but the new ones i got our made by nangchang.there what there selling now,not cheap,100 plus $.8 ply rated.
later.
Shane.

riceye Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:24 am

VeeWee wrote: 3 weeks ago I went camping, the road I was on was getting pacthed in places. Well, it was Friday, time to go home, and they put a sign up that said bump. They lied. It was a 4 inch drop that led to a 5 inch curb. At least they painted they curb orange so you could see it.

I believe that is what did the tires in..

That'll do it.

(Note to self... Don't buy Les Schwab tires.)