TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Different fuel tank vent routing for '82 cali?
redtail Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi all,
I'm knee deep in fuel tank refreshment (the original braded vent lines have recently started leaking fuel all over the place) and ran into a bit of a head scratcher. In this photo (stolen from kayakweasty) you can see the metal vent lines that run along the side of the fuel tank:

These metal vent lines are present on my fuel tank, but they are both crimped and sealed at the end. The diagram in the bentley shows these metal lines being used, but they clearly serve no function in the setup of my '82 california model westy.

So, does anyone have a diagram for this fuel tank? Was it a cali model only change, or an '81, '82 deal? Thanks for the help!

mightyart Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:01 pm

The fuel tank and vent/expansion systems on the CA air cooleds were the same as on the federal models.
The two tubes on each side of the tank go to the expansion tanks under each front wheel well
Sounds like an PO modification.

redtail Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Really?

What an idiotic thing to do. Sometimes man, I just wonder what people were thinking.

Anyway, it looks like there is enough length on the metal vent tubes that I will be able to cut off the crimp and get the system back to stock. Thanks for the help Mr. Mighty.